Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 AM

4 posts, read 9,086 times

Advertisements

Is anything happening on the Bristol, CT transportation front? I have a job in Manhattan, my husband is in Bristol and we cannot make the twain meet from a commuting standpoint.

Looking for suggestions of communities, databases, transport options, or any other creative tool that would allow us to relocate, have reliable transport to our jobs each day and a commute that would allow us to have breakfast with our three young kids and tuck them in.

Before his transfer we were happily settled 12 miles from Manhattan in Montclair, NJ. We ,are having trouble finding a similarly diverse, education-oriented and convenient place to live unless I spend two hours each way on bus, train and subway getting to work and my husband does the same driving.

I know this topic has been visited in recent years; just wondered if there was anything new coming down the pike or anyone in the same situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Danbury's the logical choice. Hour drive for him. Hour and change train ride for her.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 AM

I wish it was an hour and change. 113 minutes is the shortest train i find, plus getting to the station and across town to work. And then there is the work on the Danbury line. if you know of a shorter train, pls advise. And thanks for your reply : )

Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Trumbull CT or if you want NY, perhaps Bedford or Mahopac.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevero View Post
I wish it was an hour and change. 113 minutes is the shortest train i find, plus getting to the station and across town to work. And then there is the work on the Danbury line. if you know of a shorter train, pls advise. And thanks for your reply : )
Shoot I was thinking of Darien.

Some Danbury people commute from Brewster I think, which is a little better. Looks like most trains are 76 minutes which means you're looking at a 90 minute commute minimum.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Shoot I was thinking of Darien.

Some Danbury people commute from Brewster I think, which is a little better. Looks like most trains are 76 minutes which means you're looking at a 90 minute commute minimum.
Darien might actually work. There are express trains that can get you to Grand Central in a shade over an hour, and service there is fairly frequent.

Since traveling in a train is easier than driving (and you get a better seat on the train the further out you go), I think the OP should stretch her commute a bit if it means shortening her husband's. With a rush hour express train, the OP's commute would be around 70 minutes, and her husband's would be roughly the same.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
It is imperative that you are close to Interstate 84. This makes the commute easiest for both.

I suggest looking in to Beacon, Fishkill, Carmel, and Brewster, NY (all straight shots to Bristol on 84). Drive from any of those places to Bristol will range from 1hr-1.5hrs. Train from Beacon or Brewster (both stations right off 84) will be 1hr 20mins.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

thanks. yeah, darien is ideal. way over our budget, tho. with our three kids, one adopted 9 months ago at age 8 from china, i need to get home fast. i need a helicopter. : )

Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM

But yes, 84 is the key. too bad they never extended the train service into bristol. Thank you for your replies.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Could you move to a cheaper area and just do one job with a short commute? Having three kids, especially one just adopted, needs one of you spending a lot of time at home. I have two foster kids plus two kids of my own, and even with my wife staying at home I'm still busy with them every evening. I can't imagine both of us working, things would be very difficult for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County