U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM

132 posts, read 446,081 times

Advertisements

Your kids won't be the only Jews in Ardsley and there's is a temple on 9 in Dobbs Ferry not far away but I don't know if it's Reformed or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM

168 posts, read 466,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairch View Post
Your kids won't be the only Jews in Ardsley and there's is a temple on 9 in Dobbs Ferry not far away but I don't know if it's Reformed or not...
Ardsley schools are excellent, but there is no real town center (just a hectic strip) and it's not a train town, so you'll be driving to dobbs ferry which has a small lot and not many non resident spots.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,335,653 times
There's also The Woodlands (White Plains address, but Town of Greenburgh) that's about 3 miles or so from most of Ardsley, and there's a JCC and temple in Tarrytown too, which is about 5-6 miles away. Irvington also has a reform congregation and is not far from Ardsley, nor is Scarsdale.

Here's a list of congregations in Westchester: http://www.westchestertowns.com/htm/lnk/Link0102.html

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,839,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbook2 View Post
Yikes, those places are far. So far, were looking at Eastchester, Scarsdale (not the school system, just the address), Mamaroneck, Larchmont, and Harrison. I'm interested in Ardsley, but my wife is concerned about the Jewish population.

We don't need to walk to Synagogue, but were interested in being at most 5-8 miles from a Reform temple, and would prefer our kids to go to public school with a least a few other jews.

We're still thinking about New Rochelle, but I'm wondering about the school system, especially the high school. How urban is it, is it safe, is the education good? My wife and I both grew up in suburban, upper middle class, predominantly white schools, where the main problem was kids being bored. I'm wondering if I should even be concerned about an urban school? New Rochelle seems to have two halves to it: the rich north and the poor south. How does that work out in the schools? Does the rich/poor dichotomy impact learning for anyone? Should I even really be concerned about that? Do a lot of families send their kids to private school in NR?
Hi gbook, the mom of one of my son's best friends is a rabbi in White Plains (and the son is at Yale, so I guess the schools are all right ) The family is really great, lovely wonderful genuine people.

I suggest you approach this strategically -- ask your rabbi if he/she knows anyone at a Reform Synagogue in Westchester, get some names and locations. Put the kids in the car and do some weekend tours, targeting a different part of Westchester each weekend. Visit the Synagogue during services, talk to the people, see if folks are friendly and if the congregation has your values and level of activity. Someone in the congregation might know of houses for sale that might be off the MLS, who knows.

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for seeing an area yourself. See if it's walkable, if there are kids outside, if there are mommies socializing. Find the library and the grocery store (as well as Synagogue and schools), because your family will need those to be in safe, good, accessible areas.

I think you will get all the advice you need from people you meet in person, and I think you should take with a grain of salt opinions on anonymous message boards.

Yom Kippur blessings on you and yours (I'm not Jewish, but I hope that counts ).

Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM

18 posts, read 62,681 times
We moved to Westchester from CT a few months back and I think the best thing we did was rent a place while we look to buy a house. I think you will soon realize that the silver lining to your renting in Avalon is that it'll give you an insight into the "lay of the land" so to say!
We are renting in Scarsdale and are zoned for New Rochelle schools. Davis in New Rochelle is a great schools with Ward being OK too. The rest of the New Rochelle elementary schools do not fare well on Greatschools.net. Eastchester has great schools and Tuckahoe is a small but good school district.As far as I know the Coops on Garth road are zoned for Eastchester schools..in case you want to go the co op route. Parts of Hartsdale are zoned for Edgemont schools and some parts for Ardsley schools which are both excellent so you might want to look there as well.
Sorry don't have much insight into Jewish areas. I am neither Jewish nor Christian but have found the community very accepting.
Good luck in your search!!

Last edited by ambansal; 10-08-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM

132 posts, read 446,081 times
Just want to second the renting first option. We did that for the first year when we moved from Chicago and it was the only way we found a good fit for our family. Lots of family trips to every village in Westchester each weekend- but it's really the only way to figure out where you want to live.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,005 times
Look closer into the northern corner of New Rochelle, with Scarsdale P.O., you will find smaller homes in your price range, beautiful neighborhood, and near the JCC, temple, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County