U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 26,108 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we're new to the area. We have three kids and Halloween is coming up. Is there a central location where I can find out what days/times trick or treat is in all the Westchester cities/towns/villages?

If not, can I get some feedback from those around the area who know the days and times or can direct me on how to get this info?

Thank you!

Margie in BcM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 AM

205 posts, read 472,380 times
littlemissme -
It's not as formal as that. Just head out on Halloween. Smaller kids tend to go out before dinner, bigger kids once it gets dark. Some towns enforce curfews after 8 or 9pm (town hall or cops will know), but even for those that don't ringing a doorbell after 9 might be a little late.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Wow, really??! Sounds so crazy to me. So is trick or treat always only on Halloween night or since it's a Monday night will there be places doing it over the weekend (the 29th and 30th)?

Thanks for the reply!

Margie in BcM

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 AM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Trick or treating happens on Halloween. Monday, Wednesday, Sunday, whenever. The 31st of October.

What am I missing?

Alright, I remember while living in NC that towns would organize a specific night and have some sort of party, but up here it's still like I remember as a kid. You go out on the 31st. Because that's Halloween.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Not missing anything. When I was a kid, near Cleveland, trick or treat would be like 6-8 on the Sunday before Halloween unless it fell on a Saturday, it'd be on Saturday. Just spent 8 years in El Paso, TX and it would be usually 6-8 that night. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Margie in BcM

Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM

64 posts, read 167,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissme View Post
Not missing anything. When I was a kid, near Cleveland, trick or treat would be like 6-8 on the Sunday before Halloween unless it fell on a Saturday, it'd be on Saturday. Just spent 8 years in El Paso, TX and it would be usually 6-8 that night. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Margie in BcM
Ohio is screwy in lots of ways - and Halloween not being on the 31st is only one of them!! (I'm a native Michigander, so I had to poke fun!)

Always the 31st. The little ones do start earlier, but I haven't seen anyone out before 6 (I have little ones and we are always one of the first). Are you in Briarcliff? If so, the 'tree streets' are great to go to. Almost all the houses are decked out, everyone goes all out, it's really fun. We were in a not ToT-ing friendly neighborhood for the last few years so we always went there. We're in a better neighborhood now (more walkable) but this is our first Halloween here, so we'll see how it goes. I might go back to the tree streets next year!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks. And poking fun at Ohio is cool. There's so much material to choose from.

What my ACTUAL situation is, is this:

We just moved here from El Paso, TX, right? And our first night in our new house we were watching Conan O'Brien and he mentioned he's coming to New York for a week to tape. My husband is a HUGE fan so we immediately we to request tickets. The choices were vague and long story short we ended up with tickets for Halloween night and no way to trade them.

What we're going to end up doing is just a bunch of the events that are taking place that weekend with the kids all dressed up. There are fairs, festivals, plays etc. all over the area so we'll go do a bunch of stuff that whole weekend so we can do the Conan show Monday night. I know, bad bad mommy.

Thanks for all the help and advice though!

Margie

Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM

44 posts, read 161,320 times
Westchester Magazine's Halloween Guide - Halloween 2011 Guide: Westchester County Parades, Haunted Houses, Live Performances, Festivals, and Other Things To Do for Halloween - Westchester Magazine - October 2011 - Westchester, NY

Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM

9,002 posts, read 14,764,118 times
In Westchester, trick or treating is pretty informal. I heard on the news about some town in CT trying to "make it" be on Sunday night this year.

But the only thing I know of like that here is in downtown Dobbs Ferry there's some sort of organized trick or treating combined with a Halloween carnival/parade usually (if Halloween doesn't fall on it) the Saturday or Sunday before Halloween tied to the kids trick-or-treating all the surrounding merchants. When my kids were pre-school age they were in a day care center in Dobbs Ferry that took the kids there, that's how I learned of it. Nowadays we do that in addition to trick or treating in our neighborhood around 6pm on Halloween itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or