U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 28,213 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to New Rochelle temporarily, but are looking for a house in one of the towns around NR: like Eastchester, Scarsdale, Mamroneck, and Harrison.

What are the costs for day cares in that area? Does anyone know of an affordable care center? We have a 4yr old and a 9 month old. We need two 10hr days of care each. So basically 2 days in preschool and 2 in the infant room.

We got a price for the Temple Israel day care in NR for two 10 hour days each, for a total of $1800/mo.

Coming from West Hartford, we pay about $700/mo for 4 days of care between the two kids. I'm hoping there is something cheaper than $1800/mo???
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM

48 posts, read 123,008 times
Daycare costs in lower Westchester are rough. My 13 month old goes to a Group Family Daycare in Mamaroneck, which costs me $65 a day, or $1300 a month. Group family daycares will probably cost you less than a daycare center, but the quality varies. When we were looking into daycares from my munchkin, we visited one that was just gross--dirty, overrun with random piles of junk, and creepy. The daycare provider had the TV on, and was trying to watch it while talking to us! Our daycare now is great--run more like a daycare center/preschool, with lots of enriching activities, a great outdoor space, and no TV!

Your best bet to finding daycares in Westchester would be to contact the Child Care Council of Westchester; they will actually contact you to help you find a daycare situation that will work for you.

I'd also recommend you check out the Daycare Facility Search on the NYS Office of Children and Family Services; all facilities (daycare centers, group family daycare, family daycare, etc.) listed on the website are licensed by the state, and you can search for facilities based on several criteria, including location.

Finally, in terms of specific daycare centers in lower Westchester, I have a friend whose child goes to the Cornerstone Children's Center on Garth Road in Scarsdale, and I toured it myself. It's relatively new (May 2010) and seems like an excellent facility. I know my friend loves it.

There's also the Children's Corner Nursery in Scarsdale. I don't have any personal experience with it, however, so I can't speak to its quality or merits.

Then there's the Rye Neck Community Child Care Center (located in Mamaroneck). They don't have a website, but you can google their phone number. I checked them out and didn't feel it was a good fit for us, but it might be another place you want to visit.

If you're looking for a less expensive daycare option, I'd definitely suggest checking out a Family Daycare or a Group Family Daycare (the difference is in the number of children each daycare is licensed for; GFD can have more children on-site). They may also be more flexible with you only needing daycare 2x a week; I know some daycare centers sometimes have a bit less flexibility.

Best of luck to you in your search; I know it was stressful and challenging finding a daycare that I felt would work best for our family.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County