Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM

68 posts, read 153,067 times

Advertisements

How practical would it be to live without owning
a car in Larchmont, just a few blocks from train station?
I would be working in Manhattan...all my socializing
would be there also...do many people do this?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
How practical would it be to live without owning
a car in Larchmont, just a few blocks from train station?
I would be working in Manhattan...all my socializing
would be there also...do many people do this?...
You mean all your socializing would be in NYC? If so consider also New Rochelle. Yes, some people do this, at least in New Rochelle.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 PM

yes, all of it; the things I'm concerned about are
day to day activities: shopping, but even more
getting to the doctor, dentist etc....is New Rochelle
as nice a place to live as Larchmont?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
In theory, you could do it, but you may have to go to Manhattan for health care and dentistry if a provider that you liked were located in other nearby areas of Westchester that were not in walking distance, since public transportation around Westchester is not as efficient as transportation to/from Manhattan.

Grocery shopping would be somewhat limited as well, though you could always have Fresh Direct deliver the bulk of your groceries, so you would not have to carry packages home, or use a bicycle and trailer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
....is New Rochelle
as nice a place to live as Larchmont?
No. But generally cheaper. Regardless, living in Westchester w/o a car is definitely an inconvenience albeit possible. If you're working in the city and that's where you social life is why move to Westchester at all?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
If you really mean what you say, Larchmont would be fine. I don't know how late you socialize but the last train is about 1.40am or so I think. I'm surprised more people don't do this sort of thing, MNR is reliable (if not so frequent), and the ride into the center of town, or Harlem, is shorter than from many parts of the city.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM

thanks for the valuable input; I would prefer Manhattan
but cannot afford it-even with the $200 a month MNR
tax... I figure I should be OK with groceries with a Trader Joes
& Super Stop & Shop about 1/2 mile away...?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Yea, trader joe's is great. Get yourself a bike and ride home with your goods.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

69 posts, read 254,937 times
It would work in Larchmont. There would be times you wanted a car, but it would work.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Larchmont actually isn't too bad transportation-wise. It isn't Midtown Manhattan, but it's not out in the sticks. Here's a Westchester bus map: http://transportation.westchestergov...pENG28june.pdf

You have the 70 and 71 looping around the town, and then you have the 60, 61, and 66 which travel to other towns (and they can also be used to travel within Larchmont). So going about your day-to-day activities shouldn't be too hard.

And of course, there's Metro-North if you want to go to another town for errands.

You could try New Rochelle, but the problem is that the area around the train station (which is where you have a ton of buses) isn't too great from what I've heard. The northern part is nice, but bus service isn't too frequent.

Here's a list of the schedules of Westchester buses: Bee-Line Bus Timetables and Maps

If you think you'll be traveling around Larchmont and the surrounding areas on a daily basis, you can get a UniTicket added onto the Metro-North ticket for (I believe) an extra $30. Or, if you're getting an Unlimited MetroCard to use the subway in Manhattan, you can just use that.

If you're using it sparingly, it'll be $2.25 per ride, with a free transfer allowed to another bus, or to the NYC subway (just like the buses in NYC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County