U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a lesbian couple with 2 elementary ages children. We are looking to relocate to Westchester. Can someone recommend some towns to consider? Here are our requirements:

1) Good schools
2) Diverse town. We don't expect there to be a lot of other gay families but we don't want our children to be the only children with a different type of family.
3) A walkable downtown area.
4) Less than an hour commute to downtown NYC door to door.

We don't want to be in White Plains - we heard the schools aren't that great and it's too much of a city feel.

Any other recommendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM

168 posts, read 465,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenson13 View Post
Hi,
We are a lesbian couple with 2 elementary ages children. We are looking to relocate to Westchester. Can someone recommend some towns to consider? Here are our requirements:

1) Good schools
2) Diverse town. We don't expect there to be a lot of other gay families but we don't want our children to be the only children with a different type of family.
3) A walkable downtown area.
4) Less than an hour commute to downtown NYC door to door.

We don't want to be in White Plains - we heard the schools aren't that great and it's too much of a city feel.

Any other recommendations?
I've always known the river towns to be more politically progressive. As far as a "scene" goes, I can't think of any specific areas. I would start with Tarrytown, and work your way up/down the valley from there.

Also, there are definitely some socially conservative pockets (e.g. parts of Yonkers, Mt. Pleasant, Armonk) of Westchester where I would imagine your family would "stand out" more than in other communities.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,319,322 times
The River Towns are good places to start your search, but most of Westchester would not have a problem with a non-traditional family. Dobbs Ferry and Hastings have very good school districts, as does Irvington, but Irvington can he a bit more stuffy as it still has a contingent of older money. It's not as artsy and open as some of the other towns. For an hour door-to-door, you're going to have to look at the first few stops on the train, since even with an express train, a bit over an hour factoring time to/from the stations would be anticipated with a regular commute.

In Lower Westchester, the Sound Shore is analogous to the UES, while the River Towns tend to have more of an UWS feel, save for Irvington which is a bit mixed; and the City of Yonkers which is not considered a River Town. Central Westchester is a bit more mixed, with Bronxville being more UES-like, and Scarsdale having a bit more of an UWS feel. You definitely want to be in a town with a train, however, given your preferred commute requirements, so an area like Ardsley might not work from a commute perspective.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM

413 posts, read 914,982 times
Most Westchester towns have lots of different types of families. What probably will matter more is your immediate neighbors... who they'll be on a bus with, walking to town with, playing manhunt, etc etc etc. I don't know how you could find that out, except by looking at neighborhood vs neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
Most Westchester towns have lots of different types of families. What probably will matter more is your immediate neighbors... who they'll be on a bus with, walking to town with, playing manhunt, etc etc etc. I don't know how you could find that out, except by looking at neighborhood vs neighborhood.
Google voter registration / campaign donation records :-D Couple that with median income data from census.gov, and I'm pretty sure the OP could piece together a fairly reliable overview of their immediate area.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM

56,195 posts, read 80,292,655 times
Nyack would be perfect, except for the commute.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nyack would be perfect, except for the commute.
It's really insane that there is no direct train to the city from the other side of the bridge. I wonder if the rail link in the proposed TZ bridge rebuild will survive the recession. It will be tragic if they spend billions on the new bridge and don't include the tracks...

Old 11-09-2011, 01:05 PM

58 posts, read 181,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Google voter registration / campaign donation records :-D Couple that with median income data from census.gov, and I'm pretty sure the OP could piece together a fairly reliable overview of their immediate area.
This is an excellent suggestions and what we did when looking at towns. My vote would be to check out Hastings first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County