U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

347 posts, read 868,366 times

Advertisements

Are there any northern Westchester middle schools that have outstanding science programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,497,784 times
What do you mean by "science programs"? Academic or extra curricular?

Byram Hills schools have really nice extra curricular science programs like a competitive science teams and science research.

But in terms of academic, most public schools teach to the same curriculum; when they get to high school, they can take AP and honors classes.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 AM

347 posts, read 868,366 times
I was thinking of science classes but if my son could be involved in extra cirricular science that would be a plus.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,497,784 times
Then you mean academic. I don't think there's a big difference between the public schools in terms of classroom instruction, especially in middle school. You would likely get the same quality of class instruction in Byram as you would in Pleasantville or Chappaqua (meaning they are all easy wherever you go).

Most high schools on the other hand offer AP and honors courses in science so you might find some challenge there.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
Are there any northern Westchester middle schools that have outstanding science programs?
The only local science program that I have heard of as "outstanding" is at Ossining High School. In the Yorktown middle school (which was just named a National Blue Ribbon School, if that matters to you) there is an after school science club and Destination Imagination, a national program/competition that involves science as well as other subject areas. In terms of classes, I know that there is advanced science for the more advanced kids (as there is for math and other subjects) and that students are divided by level for instruction (so a 6th grader can be taught 8th grade science, and so on).

Yorktown High School has the usual array of AP and other advanced classes. There's also the Science Research Program, which I've heard good things about: Yorktown Science Research Site

Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,549 times
Dr. Ulm, Croton-on-Hudson's Pierre Van Cortlandt (PVC) Middle School principal, and a former science teacher there, has developed a very strong STEM-D program at the school.

We moved to Croton in May, and it was wonderful to have my three girls take a canoe building class with Dr. Ulm over the summer.

When we were investigating Croton, the school was very receptive to our visits. I suggest you do the same.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County