Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 103,779 times

Advertisements

I am a journalist with an 8-year-old daughter and I'm currently living in the northernmost part of Westchester. I am hoping to relocate to a town closer to the city. I have narrowed down my search to Hastings on Hudson, Irvington, or maybe Montclair, NJ. I am looking for an educated, upper middle class community with a sizable percentage of professional women and a city-focused vibe. The commute from all three towns is fine for me, though I wonder what the situation is with parking. Also, both Hastings and Irvington seem to have good schools, but any information along those lines is appreciated as well. I am also wondering about convenience and shopping, especially food. Are there good grocery stores, take out food, decent inexpensive restaurants with a diversity of cuisines in town/near the train station? (I know Irvington and Hastings both have good restaurants on the expensive side -- I'm thinking more along the lines of inexpensive Thai and other ethnic cuisine and the like). Finally, wondering about friendliness and whether it's easy to make and keep friends for my daughter. She is having a tough time because even though she is extremely friendly, where I live is so spread out that it's hard to arrange playdates and get togethers for her, and I have so little in common with the families up here that I admittedly lack incentive to pursue friendships on her (or my) behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
prl

1 posts, read 9,419 times
Default my 2 cents

I'm in a similar situation. Moving to the river towns next summer. I'm tilting towards Hastings-on-hudson for the schools, topography and walk-ability. I've been scouting the area for two years now and there's really nothing in terms of restaurant or shopping diversity. Although, if you have a car there's more choices nearby. Irvington lacks a supermarket and an absence of cultural diversity. Dobbs and Hastings both have supermarkets and fair a little better in terms of cultural diversity but not by much. Regarding friends for your daughter. She'll do better if you decide to live in-town instead of its outskirts. For instance, each time I visit Hastings I've seen kids playing in the park, riding bikes and yes selling lemonade. Hope this helps.

Last edited by prl; 12-15-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Lived in Hastings. Restaurants are good -- high end expensive ones are good but all of the local standard fare -- diner, pizza, Chinese, are good too, but nothing too diverse. There are a few places that have set up shop since I left that I can't comment on, but nothing too diverse. We still go there for bagels, the diner, and a great independent health food store. As far as shopping, the Food Emporium is good (not great) but you have Stew Leonard's (great) about 10 minutes away.

Definitely professional educated city-based moms are the norm. We found the kids to be a little cliquish. Schools are great for the middle of the bell curve but not so much for either end.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM

74 posts, read 228,506 times
I can only speak for the river towns. We live in Irvington. The schools are great and it's very centrally located. You have 2 Stop&Shops near by (Dobbs and Tarrytown) and 2 Whole Foods (WP and Ridge Hill/Yonkers). If you're looking for cheaper food alternatives, there is a great Mexican in Dobbs (Tomatillo) and lots of Thai in Ardsley and Sleepy Hollow. All the towns are so close that you use them as your own. It's a very friendly community, from my experience. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Mama View Post
If you're looking for cheaper food alternatives, there is a great Mexican in Dobbs (Tomatillo) and lots of Thai in Ardsley and Sleepy Hollow.
Better is the Mexican place on 9A in Ardsley a block south of Starbucks on the west side.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 PM

81 posts, read 245,819 times
Doesn't anyone shop at Trader Joe's? We're about to make the move from SF to Westchester and first think I did was scope out where all the TJ's were

Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Ha...I did the same thing! TJs is not nearly as popular here as in CA, although there are some in Larchmont, Scarsdale/Eastchester and I believe Hartsdale. But I should warn you they don't sell wine or spirits in Tjs here (or in grocery stores or Costco...stupid law where you can't sell spirits in the same place as beer), so say goodbye forever to cheap wine.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM

81 posts, read 245,819 times
Say it ain't so!!!! I wonder if our relocation pkg would include moving wine. Or would that violate some interstate liquor law?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Doesn't anyone shop at Trader Joe's? We're about to make the move from SF to Westchester and first think I did was scope out where all the TJ's were
What's the big deal with Trader Joe's, anyway? To me it's basically a big yawn - not really much you can't get anywhere else. I admit, I don't care much about gluten-free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
"What's the big deal with Trader Joe's, anyway? To me it's basically a big yawn - not really much you can't get anywhere else. I admit, I don't care much about gluten-free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah."

Its not really free, organic, hormone free, free-range, crunchy, blah blah blah - you're confusing it with Wholefoods perhaps. Its also got plenty of stuff that you cannot find anywhere else. Have you ever actually been in one, or are you just dismissing it based on some stereotype you've conceived?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County