Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,317,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I live in hartsdale with twin boys and a 6 year old so paying tuition in a good school would be more expensive than renting a small 1 bedroom in say scarsdale or Bronxville just so I can qualify to put my kids in a good school district. I would use the scarsdale or Bronxville address as my primary residence for my income tax so I can show the school plus I'd bring in the lease and utility bills as addition proof. Just need to know if the school district goes around knocking on people's door to confirm they live there and if you get caught, what kind of fine, penalty do you get if any? Please don't hate me for wanting the best for my kids.
I agree that I don't think you could register three children to a 1BR apartment. I don't think anyone would hate you for wanting the best for your children, but sometimes the "best" districts do not live up to the hype, especially in a district that has a degree of social and academic pressure to keep up with the other children.

I am not sure what sort of checking is in place, or what fines could be levied, though they would likely discharge the student, and possibly submit a bill for tuition. However, it would not be dissimilar for those with divorced parents, where the child would go to school in one district, despite having parents in both districts. Well, there are even some married couples who maintain separate houses, though that's a tiny minority, unless they are bicoastal/international, save for someone with whom I was at school, but they used private schools, neither of the parents' addresses (one in Manhattan, and the other in Westchester).

What about outside educational resources for enrichment for the children? It would augment their academic programs and would give you an opportunity to think about high school years, which is where you would face more challenges in Hartsdale, comparatively, not that Hartsdale schools are inherently lacking. Are you open to other districts that are well-regarded, yet not as expensive as Bronxville or Scarsdale? You might be able to find a feasible rental in Valhalla, for example, where you could actually live, even only during the school week,

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,246,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I agree that I don't think you could register three children to a 1BR apartment. I don't think anyone would hate you for wanting the best for your children, but sometimes the "best" districts do not live up to the hype, especially in a district that has a degree of social and academic pressure to keep up with the other children.

I am not sure what sort of checking is in place, or what fines could be levied, though they would likely discharge the student, and possibly submit a bill for tuition. However, it would not be dissimilar for those with divorced parents, where the child would go to school in one district, despite having parents in both districts. Well, there are even some married couples who maintain separate houses, though that's a tiny minority, unless they are bicoastal/international, save for someone with whom I was at school, but they used private schools, neither of the parents' addresses (one in Manhattan, and the other in Westchester).

What about outside educational resources for enrichment for the children? It would augment their academic programs and would give you an opportunity to think about high school years, which is where you would face more challenges in Hartsdale, comparatively, not that Hartsdale schools are inherently lacking. Are you open to other districts that are well-regarded, yet not as expensive as Bronxville or Scarsdale? You might be able to find a feasible rental in Valhalla, for example, where you could actually live, even only during the school week,
Thanks for the advise. The thing is, I have 3 kids and if I pay tuition for all 3, it would cost more than if I were to rent in a good school district. So im trying to find a way to give my kids the best education possible without breaking the bank.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,524,629 times
Why did you move to Hartsdale? Was this before you thought of having kids?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 AM

11,261 posts, read 18,795,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why did you move to Hartsdale? Was this before you thought of having kids?
Sometimes people have to go to the best place they can afford at the moment and hope things change later when their kids are school age. I know a lot of people who have kids in elementary schools in Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, etc. who hope by middle school age they can move (or afford private school).

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,563,612 times
On another note, let's not forget that most of us went to schools in school districts far crappier than our kids do and turned out just fine.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,318,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Thanks for the advise. The thing is, I have 3 kids and if I pay tuition for all 3, it would cost more than if I were to rent in a good school district. So im trying to find a way to give my kids the best education possible without breaking the bank.
Here's a thought, instead of trying to BREAK the rules, thereby doing something illegal and setting a bad example for your kids, why don't you look for ways to work within the system. (If I sound antagonistic, it's only because I find many of your posts in the NYC forum to be less than tasteful but your kids should not suffer from your racial insensitivity).

If Scarsdale or Bronxville is too expensive for you, you may consider living on the border where you would be allowed to choose either school district. I'm not sure how that works, and perhaps someone on here can clarify, but I had two friends growing up that had this situation. One lived in Mamaroneck and the other in White Plains, but it was so close to Scarsdale that they were in the school system. I knew they didn't live in Scarsdale because of the first three digits of their phone numbers.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,448,029 times
The homes in Mamaroneck that can choose either district (MMK vs. Scarsdale) are off of Old White Plains Road near Winged Foot. They would be more expensive than homes in the lesser parts of Scarsdale. We saw a few and the taxes alone were at least $20K for the fixers.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,614,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
On another note, let's not forget that most of us went to schools in school districts far crappier than our kids do and turned out just fine.
I agree that many parents are borderline fanatical on this subject, but the world is a more competitive place now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I graduated from UCLA with honors, with a GPA that would not even get me admitted there today.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 AM

11,261 posts, read 18,795,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
I agree that many parents are borderline fanatical on this subject, but the world is a more competitive place now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I graduated from UCLA with honors, with a GPA that would not even get me admitted there today.
Except it's only in certain parts of the US that the parents are THIS fanatical......

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 45,518 times
Interested in hearing more about the tuition fee to enter a school from a different district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County