Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times

Advertisements

If you live closer to the hudson, you can drive to to Tarrytown. The metro north express on the hudson line stops at Tarrytown, Yonkers and Marble hill. Just take the train to marble hill and then you get off and easily ride the subway to 168.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM

38 posts, read 92,523 times
Default Thanks. that sounds wonderful.How about parking in other stations on the hudson line?

and how reliable is subway train 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
If you live closer to the hudson, you can drive to to Tarrytown. The metro north express on the hudson line stops at Tarrytown, Yonkers and Marble hill. Just take the train to marble hill and then you get off and easily ride the subway to 168.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times
The 1 is easily one of the top 3 reliable subway lines in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
The only issue with Marble Hill is the stairs, but it's a good morning workout, if you don't mind walking up to Broadway to the subway. The 1 train is a local, so it may be slow, but it is generally reliable, as I know people who take it from Riverdale and they rarely complain about service disruption.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The only issue with Marble Hill is the stairs, but it's a good morning workout, if you don't mind walking up to Broadway to the subway. The 1 train is a local, so it may be slow, but it is generally reliable, as I know people who take it from Riverdale and they rarely complain about service disruption.
Keep in mind that she'll only be taking it to 168th Street (6 stops I believe), so it doesn't really make a difference that it's a local. Now, if she were further down, then it would be annoying to have to make all the local stops.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Keep in mind that she'll only be taking it to 168th Street (6 stops I believe), so it doesn't really make a difference that it's a local. Now, if she were further down, then it would be annoying to have to make all the local stops.
True, though I believe that the OP's husband commutes further south in Manhattan, hence why it may make sense to note that it's a local in case they were both going to exit for the 1 train, as many do, at Marble Hill. At least I think I am remembering the correct member from another post.

City-Data FAQs

Old 12-09-2011, 09:44 AM

38 posts, read 92,523 times
Exercise is not a problem for me. I actually very much like to do some exercise whenever possible since no time going to Gym since moved to NYC.
If we do take the train, I think my husband can take the express directly to Grand Central.
Is it possible to take the Hudson line if we live in Scarsdale or other towns not close to the Hudson river? What I mean here is how is the traffic to the Tarrytown or Irvington train station from like say Scarsdale? Or is it possible to get a parking if not living in the town?
Many thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Just dress warmly when making the trek up the stairs as the wind whips through Spuyten Duyvil off the water, and because of the sheer cliffs of the Palisades and the higher land mass of Riverdale, there can be bitterly cold winds at the Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill train stations. Many people actually make the transition to the subway at that point, some do it because it works out to be less expensive not to go to Manhattan on Metro-North.

Driving to a Hudson Line station may not be too difficult, but the parking situation will mean a meter, most likely, and they can fill up with non-resident commuters, as there are some metered spots specifically reserved for resident non-permit holders. You may also check parking rates in The Bronx, on the 1 train as they tend to be less expensive than Manhattan, and if you don't have an employer-subsidized space at work, would be more cost effective than driving all the way to 168th. There is a commercial lot between W231st and W230th on Broadway, where you could get a monthly pass. The lot may close when reconstruction begins on the site, with a new mixed-use development. There is another garage in a new residential building two blocks west of the W231st street station, and then a garage under a medical office on Exterior Street, right near W230th. You could then take the 1 train from W231st, which is one stop above Marble Hill. The only station I can think of where there would be little to no issue with respect to finding parking as a non-resident would be Croton as there are many spaces at that station, but you would not want to have to drive to Croton to catch a train to Manhattan, unless you lived closer to Croton than areas that you are currently considering.

City-Data FAQs

Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 AM

258 posts, read 905,858 times
Are you on the West Side? If so, than I would move near the Saw Mill. I take the Saw Mill to West Harlem everyday and I do not hit any traffic from Pleasantville to Yonkers. It is slow to get past exit 9 in Yonkers and than I am fine the rest of the way. I could take the Deegan but that would take way longer. The Saw Mill is very pleasant in the morning. I used to live in the NE Bronx, 11 miles from my job, and it took me 45 minutes to get there. Now I live 25 miles from my job and it takes about the same amount of time! You would be getting off two exits before me in Manhattan and it would be quicker.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,942,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
We are thinking of moving to Westchester county, area near white plains. I work in uptown Manhattan (168th street). Anyone knows how bad the traffic is if I want to drive to work (regular hour, 9am-5pm). How long does it take?

Thanks
Hmm forever. Not the smartest commute I87 is a parkinglot in upper manhattan in the bronx. I have a smarter Idea drive to tarrytown and use the train to marble hill for subway to 168th. Upper manhattan traffic is so bad the drive isn't even worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County