Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,442,593 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the initial hoopla from the Outliers has faded. Or the fact that the economy has made it harder to justify an extra year of pre-K??

But still, physical size will always benefit boys - getting breasts a year early for girls will not. I've yet to see any study confirming that the initial benefit of being redshirted ever translates to any lasting benefit beyond the early elementary years. My son is small, too, but one year isn't going to change that and frankly, he would have been bored out of his mind in another year of pre-K. Now he is challenged at least. I have a September girl and have no intention of holding her.

IMO, the worst thing that you can do for your kids is make life too easy for them. There are always going to be kids smarter or bigger than them, and the sooner that they learn how to deal with it, the better. Now, certainly there are exceptions - some kids are clearly NOT developmentally ready and I get that. But to hold a kid just because you don't want them to be the smallest or youngest is absurd. SOMEONE has to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,507,591 times
"But to hold a kid just because you don't want them to be the smallest or youngest is absurd."

Really, thats a bit excessive. Its far from "absurd", and clearly reasonable people can disagree on whether this is a good idea or not.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM

865 posts, read 2,471,035 times
The problem is that SOMEONE has to be the youngest. I now hear conversations where parents of summer birthdays are thinking of holding their kids back, because it seems that all kids with birthdays Sept-Dec are being held back, so that makes the summer kids the youngest, so their parents start to think about holding them back...

I even had someone ask me if I had thought about holding my May birthday boy back. Are you serious? But if the cut-off is September 1 he would be one of the youngest so apparently I should be thinking about it...

Based on my experience teaching kindergarten there are very few kids who truly need an extra YEAR of development to be ready. And yes, K is tougher than it used to be but a 6 year old who has been going to a pre-k for 2 years is going to be bored silly.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,507,591 times
Yea, I don't think a kid should go to pre-K for 2 years - but thats a different matter!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,612,816 times
We're in Chappaqua and both of my kids are born in Sept. Every single boy with a fall birthday in my son's preschool/pre-k class went straight to kindergarten, and so far this year in 3rd grade none of my daughter's classmates have turned 9, only 8th birthdays so far (in fact she has another 8th bday party tomorrow). I believe most of the preschools around here stop at 5 yrs old, so that could be one reason. When we were in CA, there were many more montessori schools and other private kindergarten options that would take kids up until 6 years old, and there was definitely more of a trend of holding back.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM

132 posts, read 513,116 times
Have to say I've never heard personally met anyone who regretted giving their child an extra year in preschool but have met a bunch who did regret pushing their kid on (myself including, although it wasn't my choice as we moved districts and the new district refused to let him start late.) There is no one answer; it is entirely dependent upon the personality and needs of your individual child. But if they would really be horribly bored in another year of preschool, maybe you're at the wrong preschool? Most kids wouldn't be bored in another year of Montessori. Now if you're preschool is just follow the dotted lines to cut and paste, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County