U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 45,237 times
Default Reasonably Priced Private/Catholic Schools

If public school is not an option and 40K in tuition is also not an option, am I out of luck? Are there any reasonably priced (less than 20K) private/catholic schools in Westchester or even Connecticut? I am looking for K-8. I have one boy and one girl.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM

66 posts, read 108,753 times
I belive there are many options, but you will want one reasonably close to your home. If you specify your town, you'll likely have at least two to choose from that are accessible, but I don't know that any are so much better that you would want to bus long distances at that age. (Iona Grammar in New Rochelle is very good, though, as I understand from several friends who went there; boys only.)

Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM

I havent chosen a town yet. If there are good private/catholic schools out there that we could afford, we could take schools out of the equation and that would make our decision about where to live very different

Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM

268 posts, read 445,688 times
here is the link for iona grammar tuition.

Admissions

Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM

79 posts, read 117,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVAMOMMY View Post
I havent chosen a town yet. If there are good private/catholic schools out there that we could afford, we could take schools out of the equation and that would make our decision about where to live very different
Catholic grammar schools are very reasonable. For example, Sacred Heart in Hartsdale is currently $4900 for one child (Catholic), while the non-Catholic rate is $6500. (Because Catholic families are also expected to contribute to the parish, etc.) You get an additional discount if you have more than one child attending.

Catholic schools are an excellent, affordable alternative to pricey school districts or super-expensive private schools. PM me if you want more information. (I've talked on this forum about my experience in Catholic school at length.)

Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 AM

4,600 posts, read 3,072,535 times
There are some near your target neighborhood in New Rochelle - Holy Name of Jesus and Sts. John and Paul in Larchmont:

Welcome to: Holy Name of Jesus Church and School

Saints John & Paul School - Homepage

Ursuline School for girls admits students beginning 6th grade:

The Ursuline School - Home Page

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks. Are these competitive schools?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM

4,600 posts, read 3,072,535 times
/\/\

Catholic parochial schools don't do standardized tests so there's no way to compare test scores vs. state standards. In the city, the parochail schools would tell you how their graduates fare in the TACHS and how many go to selective public high schools (ie Stuy, Townsend harris, etc.) and Catholic high schools (ie, Regis, Dominican Academy, etc.). You could probably use that as a proxy for "competitiveness" so this is something you must ask them as you visit these schools. Ask also about services such as after school, clubs, etc. For example, Sts. John & Paul in Larchmont has a TACHS prep course.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Forest_Hills_Daddy!

I noticed you have a lot to add to these discussions regarding education. What is your take on this issue? Do you feel that private schools are worth the 40K in tuition? If that is not an option, what do you feel is the alternative? Are public schools really that bad unless you are in Scarsdale, Chappaqua or Bronxville? Can parental involvement and extras make up for the deficit in public school education? Thanks for your opinion

Old 12-20-2011, 12:10 PM
bg7

3,155 posts, read 2,151,016 times
"Are public schools really that bad unless you are in Scarsdale, Chappaqua or Bronxville? Can parental involvement and extras make up for the deficit in public school education? "

Yea, awful, they are "that bad". You really have to be in one of those three, otherwise Westchester public schools are a wash. Its a mystery how any of the other school districts keep going, I'm surprised Cuomo hasn't shut 'em down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County