Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,922 times

Advertisements

Young couple looking to move somewhere between Armonk and Bronx. Looking for suggestions on towns and apartment buildings to consider.

- I work in Armonk, NY and wife works in Bronx, NY. Both of us will be driving to work daily. Some way between would help split daily commute.
- Currently living in Riverdale (Bronx). Lived in Manhattan before that for a few yrs.
- Looking for 2 bedroom apartments to rent ($2k-$3k range)
- Looking for a safe neighborhood, would prefer an apartment community (eg. Avalon)
- Might consider Greenwich,CT if taxes are significantly lower.
- Would help being close enough to a train station if needed

So far considering White Plains, Mamoroneck, New Rochelle, Elmsford, Rye etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,279 times
Hartsdale has tons of apartments within walking distance of the town center restaurants/shops and train station for easy trips to NYC. If you don't have schools to consider I think it's the nicest and most conveniently located area without having to pay the premium for an elite school district (Rye, Scarsdale, etc.).

Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 AM

166 posts, read 370,205 times
Seconding Cali_to_nj, Hartsdale has loads of good apartments (no community) from walking distance of the train station. The rent is also pretty decent. You may want to look into that. Only problem will be, if you use MTA, you can not use express train, that adds up about 10 mins to your commute.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks Cali_to_nj and noelm for the suggestion about Hartsdale. Will definitely check out the apartments in the area. Any recommendations on which buildings to consider? We are looking for :

2bdr in a med/high rise,
$2,000-$3,000 rent,
900-1100 sq ft,
easy access to highways is a must (we will both be driving, more important than proximity to train),
granite kitchen counter tops, nicer appliances,
amenities like club room, gym etc

- So far we liked both the Avalon on the Sound in New Rochelle, Avalon White Plains, and Windsor at the Gramercy in White Plains.
- Avalon Bronxville, Trump (WP) were very expensive ($3500+).
- Bank Street (WP) was not great, not worth the move.

I have been looking at major apartment buildings so far. Want to stay away from single family houses or smaller rundown or old apartments. I am looking at realtor.com, trulia, craigslist, zillow. Most of them have listings for one or two apartments in random buildings, not any high rises. We are still in the Manhattan mode and expect good well maintained apartments with decent neighbors.

Any more places we should consider?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM

66 posts, read 139,310 times
You might like Caroline Gardens in Pelham Manor but it's small-2 or 3 floors per building, I believe. I think a 2 bedroom is about $2000.00. This location is right by I 95 and the Hutch. You can walk to Pelham station, but it is not close (about 15-20 minutes) but I have done it. While some units face a busy road most do not. There's a few shops (CVS, a great bakery, pizza, chinese, Dunkin' Donuts, cleaners, a japanese steak house that's great) steps away. Let me know if you want more info about the area.

Caroline Gardens does not have a gym but there is one in New Roc in New Rochelle, and right by the Pelham/Bronx border, for starters, with more located around the area. If you ever decided to buy a house/start a family the school system is great.

There are co-ops that are rentals in Larchmont but parking is a problem unless you luck out with 2 spaces (which can happen) otherwise you need permit parking in the municipal lots, and I95 and the train are right there, with the Hutch about 5 minutes away.

Not to be negative but you would be better off not moving to Avalon. The one in New Rochelle is not in a good location safety wise, and the one in Mamaroneck in not a good location for safety and is in a flood zone. From what I understand they are not well built (you'll hear your neighbors) and I got this info from someone who lived there.

Just my 2 cents-best of luck!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 AM

166 posts, read 370,205 times
Listen to MCGMOM regarding Avalon. I googled them and found only one recommendation, rest all, more than 10 said they won't recommend.

Your budget is OK but add about $200-300 for utilities on top of it. Many of the rentals in this neighborhood (those 2/3 floors only) are not well insulated so your heating costs will shoot. According to one of the firefighters in my area (off the record of course) they are all built to pass minimum regulation criteria.

If I were you, I would take a walk from Hartsdale station to Four Corners. There are many on this road. Concentrate on the apartments to your left as they open to a big golf course. Check google maps. Once at Four Corners, there is one complex between Sunoco and Subway, don't know how good it is, no harm in checking out. If you turn left on Four Corners and pass by Gulf gast station, abt 0.5 mile, then there is a row of complexes on both sides of the roads. The one behind Charles Schwab seems good (not too sure though). Their board is little obscure.

Best is get a realtor, they will show you tons more. Be warned of wooden floors in many complexes. You may have trouble from someone living above or you may be troubling someone living below. I have 3 year old (with special needs) and I had a tough time last year. The guy living on the 1st floor made my life hell.

BTW, none of the websites you mentioned will get you an apartment here. I rarely found any listings there.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks a ton MCGMOM and noelm for detailed advise. Appreciate your input.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM

232 posts, read 496,249 times
Katonah is nice. Quaint but classy. Limited units though.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Katonah is nice. Quaint but classy. Limited units though.
Thanks frischee112. I have heard good things about Katonah, but unfortunately its further north of Armonk and we are looking for something between Armonk (my work) and Bronx (wife's work). Would be too much of a drive for her everyday.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Guys, need some final input. Any advice regarding Avalon Green in Elmsford? Anyone lived there? Anything we should be aware of?

Avalon Green, Elmsford
- Brand new construction with granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, washer, dryer, clubhouse etc.
- New 2 bdr townhouse with garage
- Not a lot happening in the town of Elmsford, but 10 min to White Plains and Tarrytown might not be bad. On a weekday, we wouldn't be going out that much. Weekends will spend in WP etc.
- Older north village apts are lower priced, lower income and had issues as per reviews
- Newer south village apts are Energy efficient and modern equipped, and are still building out new buildings.
- No idea about safety, electric bills etc.
- Since we will be driving to work, proximity to train station is not that big a concern for us.

Others we considered:
- New Rochelle was out due to high crime rate as per New Rochelle, NY crimes - Trulia.com Had liked the Trump and Avalon there.
- White Plains Avalon 2 bdr with 2 car parking was getting to $3,400. So were Trump/One City etc.
- White Plains Windsor at Gramercy for 2 bdr with 2 car parking was $2900, no granite counter tops or stainless steel appliances. Liked the layout but were not sure about the resident mix.
- Hartsdale was nice, but much older apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County