Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM

114 posts, read 302,086 times

Advertisements

KBF-yes, you are correct on all those opinions. We are also looking at homes in eastchester-seems like everyday a few more come on the market in that town. As of now, they have the most homes to look at. After visitng, I liked the Arsdley schools a lot, but I feel like it does lack a convenence of shopping- I dont find there is much there nearby the neighborhoods. Also, the train is a bit of an issue.
How are you liking M-neck? What has your experience been witht he schools?
Nonny-thanks for the clarification. Yes, what I have seen of chetser park seems like a tight knit community. I am visiting Hutch elementary this week. I thought I had read the idea of merging the 4 elementary schools was put off?? Is it still a consideration that you know?? My only other worry with pelahm is its close proximity to Mount Vernon. I worry that there may be safety issues due to it. I am relocating from the Bronx (born and raised). We live in a nice section of the northeast Bronx, off Pelham Parkway, but truth be told, we are "boxed in". Our immediate block is okay, but we can't go too far outside it's radius because it is not very nice. Forget about the schools around here either. I don't want that same feeling being in Pelham. Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDJ519 View Post
KBF-yes, you are correct on all those opinions. We are also looking at homes in eastchester-seems like everyday a few more come on the market in that town. As of now, they have the most homes to look at. After visitng, I liked the Arsdley schools a lot, but I feel like it does lack a convenence of shopping- I dont find there is much there nearby the neighborhoods. Also, the train is a bit of an issue.
How are you liking M-neck? What has your experience been witht he schools?
Nonny-thanks for the clarification. Yes, what I have seen of chetser park seems like a tight knit community. I am visiting Hutch elementary this week. I thought I had read the idea of merging the 4 elementary schools was put off?? Is it still a consideration that you know?? My only other worry with pelahm is its close proximity to Mount Vernon. I worry that there may be safety issues due to it. I am relocating from the Bronx (born and raised). We live in a nice section of the northeast Bronx, off Pelham Parkway, but truth be told, we are "boxed in". Our immediate block is okay, but we can't go too far outside it's radius because it is not very nice. Forget about the schools around here either. I don't want that same feeling being in Pelham. Any thoughts??

I'm not KBF... but we're in the Rye Neck district of Mamaroneck (Mamaroneck has two districts, one shared with Larchmont and one shared with part of Rye) and the schools are great at all levels. Our experience has been very positive.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDJ519 View Post
We are also looking at homes in eastchester-seems like everyday a few more come on the market in that town. As of now, they have the most homes to look at.
You may want to visit the Eastchester school district website (look under the budget and tax section). They are very candid about their financial situation; at least that's one thing to their credit.

Money matters aside, they seem to have a growing east asian population.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks bg7...
We are also looking in M-neck with both zoned districts, but unfortunately, there hasn't been much on the market in those areas currently. Sort of the same houses for sale for months.
Forest Hills...we have visited the two elementary schools in Eastchester. A lot in Eastchester available in terms of real estate, and the schools seem okay.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,654 times
The Hutchinson School may merge with Colonial School in Pelham. All four schools won't merge. It would be great if they did. The merge would enable languages to be taught in elementary schools. If/when it happens, it will happen with clear benefits for the students. You don't feel boxed in, in Pelham at all. The part of Mt Vernon that we're close to has the big box stores, like Target. The Middle School and High School students walk there all the time. It's getting more and more settled. It's so convenient having all of those stores there. The area of the Bronx that we're close to is not a problem area. City Island is actually nice. It's very safe here.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Hi Nonny..
Yes, we live not far from City Island, right off Pelham Parkway. Take Shore road everyday to drop my oldest off at pre-k in New Rochelle. That side is fine, however, if we go in the other direction, it is lousy.
I visited Hutch this morning. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed in the building itself. It was very old, dark and sort of dingy looking. It felt like the kindergarten classrooms were in the basement (one long dark hallway, lots of piping overhead-felt like a boiler room; hard to describe). Not what I was picturing at all.
It seemed that what was going on in the classrooms was fine, but I am so stuck on the visual image I saw of the school itself. Kind of a let down as all I have ever heard and read about the Pelham district itself is that it is well regarded.
Tell, me, do only some of the elementary schools have foreign languange currently and if so, why not all?
I know you said the merge would allow the students to have that. Just curious. I appreciate all you info I find it helpful.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Also Nonny-if you don't mind me asking....what school do your cild/children attend? Any thoughts on comparing the 4 elementary schools? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,105,654 times
The following is being considered: the Hutchinson School would merge with Colonial School, and Siwanoy would merge with Prospect. Colonial would house k-2 (I think), and Hutch would house 3-5. My kids are going to Colonial. I think that it is much prettier than Hutch. I think that it's likely that they will merge, the year after next. The curriculum for all 4 schools is the same. The culture of the schools are different. Hutch is multicultural. Colonial is preppy (and small, too small, in my opinion). Siwanoy is middle class. Prospect is fine. Merging the schools would really help unify the community. I think that there will be a big game changer soon, and that focussing on which elementary school is a waste of time.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the info. That is helpful to know. I will keep that in mind for sure.
Also, I know there is a big debate going on over the math curriculum in the district. Any insight on that?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 AM

258 posts, read 907,496 times
Hi, I am also from the Northeast Bronx. I think you will be fine in Pelham and not feel boxed in the way you are in the Bronx. I was living in Throgs neck. My community was fine but couldn't leave the vicinity. I don't think Pelham is that different from most of lower Westchester in terms of surrounding bad neighborhoods. If you live in Mamaorneck, Pelham, or Larchmont, you will still be at the same Targets, the same movie theaters, the same shopping. It will not be a huge change from the Northeast Bronx in that regard.
I think Eastchester is very "Bronx". When we looked there, the people we met were mostly Bronx transplants who were successful in trades or business. That is less the case with Pelham and Mamaroneck. As far is schools, I think in the older towns like Larchmont and Pelham, you sacrifice in school facilities. I have family in Larchmont, and there facilities are not great. They are old buildings with no A/C and things like that. I think Pelham is a bit more overcrowded than Larchmont schools though (nobody in Chatsworth is in the basement).
We looked in Ardsley and loved the schools (more than Eastchester where we also looked). However, the town isn't really that nice. I think the location of the river towns are a little nicer within the county than Mamaroneck, Pelham and Eastchester but that is a preference for me because I work on the West side of Manhattan so I love Saw Mill access. I also like being closer to malls because I like to shop. Shopping is much better when you cross Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County