U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM

52 posts, read 53,933 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone: I have a question and since my tech skills are not what they used to be I could use some advice. I am about to get a new laptop w/wi-fi and need to figure my best option for Internet. Thinking about Verizon's Hotspot but it will be a 2 year contract so if I am not happy with it I am stuck. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 AM

279 posts, read 507,310 times
wi-fi is not a mainstream way to connect a laptop to the internet on the go. Most people use services provided by their cell phone company through a USB dongle.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 AM

92 posts, read 188,329 times
For internet at home...

your most seamless option is to get it with whoever you get your tv with- if you have Cablevision, get Optimum, if you have Fios TV, get Fios Internet. This is the most common setup.

The fastest internet option (and the best option if you don't watch tv) would be to get Fios Internet, regardless of your tv provider as Fios is normally faster and has more stable speeds.

The cheapest option, besides dialup, which is TOO slow nowadays and blocks your phone line, is to get DSL through Verizon. It is a slower connection, but cheaper than Optimum and Fios.

For internet on the go...

You will have to go through a cell phone carrier. Which cell phone carrier depends on your needs. Are you only using it in the US, or are you using it abroad as well (if you are using it abroad, it will be VERY expensive, though)? Are you staying local in Westchester or travelling? If staying local, where in Westchester?

The fastest internet speeds is something called LTE (4G) that Verizon has and AT&T is starting to rollout. The problem is it stops a little north of 287 and then you are back down to slower speeds (3G).

Verizon is the most stable of all connections and has the fastest LTE, but AT&T has the fastest 3G. If you will be using the service in NYC though, stay away from AT&T... their service can't handle the crowds of the city. Verizon only works in the USA/Canada while AT&T works worldwide.

Of the cheaper two services- T-Mobile and Sprint - T-Mobile has something between 3G and 4G speeds, and works even up into northern westchester, PLUS has some of the cheapest prices, but their coverage is very, very spotty. T-Mobile, like AT&T, works worldwide.

Sprint doesn't have a 4G option yet, and doesn't work worldwide, but their connections are more stable than T-Mobile and usually AT&T.

Just remember, your connection will depend on where you will use the device... if you will use it in the same places often, check the coverage maps to confirm where you will be has a connection. If you are travelling a lot within the US, Verizon in general has the best service around the country. Of course, it is also the most expensive.

Once you decide on that, you can decide on HOW you can connect. You can either get a usb dongle that connects to your laptop and works rather seamlessly, or you can get a separate device, called a mobile hotspot device that you have to carry around separately. While that is not as seamless and has something extra to carry, it works on ALL devices, like an iPad or Kindle, as well as a laptop. A usb dongle only works on your laptop. A mobile hotspot has a battery you have to worry about keeping charged- a USB dongle doesn't.

Last edited by YanksRule; 03-18-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM

52 posts, read 53,933 times
Many thanks for the info. Our use is strictly for home (with the option of sometimes taking it to another location, but not abroad). I got the laptop and the Verizon mobile hotspot last week. After a few glitches I have figured it out (I (think!). When we were using the desktop we had Verizon (the bundle) and that is what I was used too so this was a bit of a challenge. Very long story but we can't use the desktop right now. Since you can use multiple devices with the hotspot we will probably wind up getting another laptop before too long and ditch the desktop (which isn't wi fi, if I remember correctly.)

I have one other ? and that is concerning faxing. We have a wi fi fax/printer/scanner and copier but are thinking of dropping our land line. However, the fax is an issue since a phone line is necessary. Any thoughts on that? Again, the non-techie in me is stumped.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM

92 posts, read 188,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
Many thanks for the info. Our use is strictly for home (with the option of sometimes taking it to another location, but not abroad). I got the laptop and the Verizon mobile hotspot last week. After a few glitches I have figured it out (I (think!). When we were using the desktop we had Verizon (the bundle) and that is what I was used too so this was a bit of a challenge. Very long story but we can't use the desktop right now. Since you can use multiple devices with the hotspot we will probably wind up getting another laptop before too long and ditch the desktop (which isn't wi fi, if I remember correctly.)

I have one other ? and that is concerning faxing. We have a wi fi fax/printer/scanner and copier but are thinking of dropping our land line. However, the fax is an issue since a phone line is necessary. Any thoughts on that? Again, the non-techie in me is stumped.
You can send faxes over the internet- scan it in and use an online fax company...

Top 5 Online Fax Services - Send a Fax Online || OnlineFaxCenter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County