U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,300 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Manhattan but working in New Rochelle. I wanted to take the train to NR and have my car parked there full time to use when I'm in the area. Is there overnight parking available? Can I rent a parking spot by month or year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 19,266 times
Default parking in NR

I think you have the right idea.....Parking in NYC stinks......You will have to come home after work and look for parking.....Trust me!....I'm sure you can find a city garage...And pay by the month.......Forget the train station because of 3-4 year waiting list....Maybe you should consider moving to westchester instead......the money you save will pay for metro north railroad...

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,416,324 times
Check out this link and call that guy George - New Rochelle, NY - Parking

Unfortunately NY has begun an 18 month renovation project on a bridge right next to the train station. Some of the smaller lots near the train station have been closed down, putting a lot of pressure on the big parking lot next to the station.

Also check out the parking lot at NewRoc (a 5 minute walk to the station), they used to have permit parking - http://www.newroccity.com/Pages/PDF/...DIRECTIONS.pdf

Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM

226 posts, read 405,801 times
You better off living in New Rochelle or westchester county. Its a perry nice neighborhood. and its cheaper that living in Manhattan by far.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 PM

431 posts, read 957,353 times
DO NOT live in Westchester if you are single.
DO NOT live in Westchester if you don't have an established set of close friends.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,300 times
Thanks for the responses! Moved my car yesterday and everything is settled until January.

For anyone in my position in the future, I went through George Rainone at City Hall and found only one lot that allows non-residents of NR to park overnight. It's the Church Division Rooftop 24/7 lot. It's $500/year or 260/half year (about 40-45/month), vs. $300-$400+ in Manhattan. It's an outdoor lot with no gate but I felt comfortable with it. 5-7 minute walk to train station. Best option I could find. Other private, secure lots were about $120/month.

Here's the app for future reference. http://newrochelleny.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/687

Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 AM

9 posts, read 9,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
DO NOT live in Westchester if you are single.
DO NOT live in Westchester if you don't have an established set of close friends.

Why do you say that?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM

87 posts, read 205,240 times
Default I wouldn't pay much attention to "ShouldHaveLeft914"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Dick View Post
Why do you say that?
That is one twisted and bitter person. (Read the history of messages if you want to see more.) Better to just ignore those messages and move on.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 AM

431 posts, read 957,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Dick View Post
Why do you say that?
Why? It's sort of obvious.

There are no venues for unmarried people to naturally meet each other outside of match.com (yukkkk!) and meetup.com (laaaaaaame). The bars are either dead or just suck. None are conducive to meeting a new person. Also, most singles are middle aged here (40s and 50s divorced, etc) If you don't have established friends from growing up in Westchester, it's very rare to make true friendships beyond "co-worker happy hour". And for the people that grew up here, the attractive, ambitious, and employed people generally move to NYC as soon as they can, and never look back. But, if you want to date au pairs, frumpy "cougars", or college kids, have at it !

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM

2,399 posts, read 5,222,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Why? It's sort of obvious.

There are no venues for unmarried people to naturally meet each other outside of match.com (yukkkk!) and meetup.com (laaaaaaame). The bars are either dead or just suck. None are conducive to meeting a new person. Also, most singles are middle aged here (40s and 50s divorced, etc) If you don't have established friends from growing up in Westchester, it's very rare to make true friendships beyond "co-worker happy hour". And for the people that grew up here, the attractive, ambitious, and employed people generally move to NYC as soon as they can, and never look back. But, if you want to date au pairs, frumpy "cougars", or college kids, have at it !
This is absolutely true, though obviously it's a generalization. I've studied the demographics closely for business reasons. The demographic profile of the post-college age single in Westchester is sharply different from, say, NYC (Manhattan, Bk etc) or Stamford area. Those with higher education &/or income potential do tend to leave. Those that don't tend to be less educated, more blue collar, lower income than their counterparts that left. Of course we're talking averages here. Nothing is absolute and there are certainly exceptions. But the profile is as stated.

Doubters can easily check for themselves. Scope out the bar scene on Mclaine Ave in Yonkers or White Plains. Then do the same anywhere in NYC, Stamford or SoNo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or