Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 70,552 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I have officially moved up to NY from DC and are currently staying with my parents in Northern Westchester, as we try to find a new place of our own. We're looking for a small place down county, as my husband works in downtown NYC, and I'm working in Yonkers.

My question is this: can anyone tell me anything about Fleetwood, Mt. Vernon? We're looking at purchasing a 1 bedroom co-op in that area, and it seems as though Fleetwood is one of the few places in Mt. Vernon that people are willing to endorse as liveable in that city. We've checked out the area some, walked around a bit, and like how it seems like a good transition from our beloved DC neighborhood. There's no worry about things like schools and such--kids are a ways off and we're hoping to have moved on by then.

Anyway, any information/insight anyone can give me about Fleetwood would be much appreciated. If you've lived there, can you share your experiences with me? Did you like living there? Do you still live there? If not, and you moved, why did you move? And finally, what actually defines the "Fleetwood" section of Mt. Vernon?

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 AM

155 posts, read 849,607 times
My young family lived in Fleetwood for a few years and we liked it very much. You fall out of bed and you're in Manhattan, the architecture and tree-lined streets are beautiful, and best of all you can take a leisurely stroll into neighboring Bronxville which is one of Westchester's chicest little downtowns. Geographically, Fleetwood is ideal.

Also, Fleetwood's utilitarian little downtown has everything you need- dry cleaning, grocery shopping, coffee shops, italian delis, etc. Many people eschew Fleetwood simply because its Mt. Vernon, but if you're far enough north, southern Mt. Vernon seems worlds away. I don't know a lot about the co-ops, but I'd spend a lot of time walking around them and seeing how loud they are (close to train tracks, cross-county parkway, etc). I think I'd try to stretch my dollar too, to make sure you don't get into one you'll regret- nothing worse than living down the hall from a dirtbag. Usually the further north, the better. You can also visit fleetwoodneighbors.org, this is a very active group that works on keeping Fleetwood moving forward.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 70,552 times
Thanks so much for your help, Rug City! I'll definitely check out the website you suggested--it seems like a great resource.

The place we were looking at is almost as far north as you can get in Fleetwood before hitting the Cross County Pkwy, so hopefully that's plenty north!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Good friend of mine from college and his family have lived near Fleetwood (East Devonia Avenue) for years and I found it to be quite nice. In fact, his neighborhood reminds me of Upper NW DC- suburbs circa 1920s. Grand houses with yards but the streets are on a grid pattern.

Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County