U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM

37 posts, read 102,641 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Westchester and our reasons and criteria are as follows:

Current situation:
1) Live in Queens with 2 kids 9 yr and 4 yrs
2) both me and my wife work. She in mid town and myself in Faifield CT

Reasons for moving:
1) Better schooling (public schools)
2) More space
3) Less hectic lifestyle, easier to get around with a car especially with a baby
4) More outdoor stuff to do

Criteria (in order of priority):
1) Good school district
2) Less than 1 hour door to door commute to midtown
3) walking distance to the train station with walk able area as my wife sometimes comes very late
4) $1M budget preferable; can stretch a bit for the right reasons. Not too high taxes. I heard Scarsdale taxes are very high. I would like to have taxes around 15K to $20K
5) Should feel welcome and be able to make friends (we are Asian Indians) - don't have any need for an Indian area, but don't want to feel unwelcome because of our ethnic background
6) 4 bed 3 bath single family home in good condition...

Appreciate any input on specific areas that fit our criteria. I have heard larchmont is good .

Thanks
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM

58 posts, read 158,484 times
I am South Asian and live in Larchmont. I absolutely love the town--there is not a significant South asian population here but it doesn't really matter to us b/c everyone we met has been very welcoming. The presence of the French American school has also attracted an international population which adds to the area as well.

There is a real community feel here--kids playing outside, walking to schools, socializing with neighbors, etc. I prefer living in the Village of Larchmont in the Chatsworth school district b/c of the fabulous elementary school and the ability to walk everywhere. For 1 million dollars you should be able to get a small house in the Chatsworth school district. Just be prepared that houses in Larchmont have very little yard space but there are so many parks close by that it has not been an issue for us. The commute is also good b/c you can walk to the train station and catch an express train to Grand Central. As you can tell, I absolutely love raising our kids here! We just moved a year ago and I know it is a daunting process so feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
Larchmont is very walkable and a great village. There are two zoned school districts in the area for middle and high school - the Mamaroneck district (which is shared by Larchmont and part of Mamaroneck) and the Rye Neck district (which is the northern part of Mamaroneck going up towards Rye). Racial diversity is about the same in both (about 25%). We live in the Rye Neck part, I walk to the station each day, and I would recommend that, the extra hassle of driving and parking is not attractive to me. The inland portion of Rye Neck is very reasonably priced; and to the east of the Boston Post Road and on the waterfront there are some beautiful houses but prices range from reasonable to through the stratosphere. If you live in Shore Acres or Greenhaven you'd likely want to drive to the station tho - but the village parking lots have no waiting list as far as I understand.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM

37 posts, read 102,641 times
Thank you. How is the area between the train station and Boston post road. Since we need something walking to the train that looks the most practicle.

Also I read somewhere that schools there don't provide bus service ... Is that true

Thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,181,268 times
The schools don't provide bussing for the public school students. There's not so much need for it in Rye Neck given the size of the neigborhood. The area between the train station and the Boston post road is fine - you have garden-variety tree-lined streets with free-standing houses. There are older houses, including Victorians with big lots, as well as 30's, 40's and newer homes closer to the Station, like on Melbourne, Beach and Barry Aves. Carroll Ave has some nice individual houses. Halstead avenue, which is the main walk to the station, is busier and definitely tatty, mainly due to volume of use. Asthetically - its a no go.

The near part of Shore Acres is walkable if you cut through the back streets - that gives you some waterfornt properties but I'm not sure how far 1 mill gets you.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

71 posts, read 203,354 times
Hi -

I also wanted to chime in. My husband and I bought a house back in Sept in the Rye Neck section within walking distance to the train station. I work in midtown east, and door to door it takes me 55 minutes to commute each way.

We don't yet have kids, so I cannot comment on the schools, but we really do enjoy the downtown. There are a lot of great restaurants to eat at, and there is a really pretty park at the end of Mamaroenck Ave right on the sound. Earlier this week I went for a run around the park, and there were so many people out and about. The park also has an awesome playground for kids with a pirate ship!

There are at least 2 pretty houses currently for sale on Barry Ave. I am not sure of the prices, but check them out to see what you can get for your money. You may want to reconsider the amount you want to pay in taxes; our house cost in the higher end of the 500k's and our taxes are about 14k/year, but we do have a large yard for lower Westchester.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 55,196 times
Check out Rye. Great schools, great newcomer club, nice town beach, amusement park and ice rink, cute downtown with nice YMCA, shops and restaurants, nature center, town pool club. I can't imagine a nicer place to live.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,753,396 times
A 4BR/3 BA house in good condition within walking distance of the train for under $1M in Rye?? Not going to happen, unless she doesn't mind being in a flood plain or being within 1000 ft. of the Dragon Coaster.

Also, I've never really thought of Rye as particularly diverse. Don't get me wrong, it's a great and pretty town, but the least affordable IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County