Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 PM

114 posts, read 302,181 times

Advertisements

My family and I are strongly considering moving to Pelham. Reason being is that it is close to my husbands job and we keep hearing how great the schools are. We took the time to visit one of the elementary schools, middle school and high school. I was not impressed with what I saw esthetically at Hutchinson; very old, dark, looked sort of runned down. It left an impression on me. But that is not to say that what is going on in the classroom isn't good.
Truthfully, we just want to know what makes the Pelham district so much better than other or stand out more than others. We are considering a couple of areas in Southern Westchester and schools are of great importance to us. Would love to hear input from those of you that use the district schools and some key points on what makes it such a well regarded school system or if you feel it is run of mill, or overated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
The schools are great. That said... if you have reservations about them, it might be better to live elsewhere. Your kids will definitely pick up on your discomfort. Having a home in an emotionally comfortable climate is really important. Most of the schools are really great in Westchester, including Pelham. What's important is how you feel about the schools and neighborhood. It's especially important in towns like Pelham, because Pelham really is a small town, and you don't want to feel 'stuck'. Your happiness will hinge on those feelings, especially when you first move, and everything is new.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Hi....
I understand what you are saying. I want to have a good school ststem for my children and be happy in the town where we live as well. Witht hat being said, I am familiar with Pelham itslef, and feel pretty comfortable there. My only concer is the proximity to Mount Vernon and safety.
What I am hoping to gain from ths post is some more insight inot what makes the district so well regarded. What programs/classes/structure does Pelham have that other districts do not etc. What makes it stand out? Or, is it just an average school, not worth the high taxes, homes cost etc.
Like I said, when i visited the hutchinson school itself, I was truly taken back by the enviroment of the Kindergarten classrooms. Maybe the 1-5 classrooms are better? It literally felt lke these kids were put into rooms in a basement. I would hate to quickly judge what good things they have to offer based on what the shcool looks like, but I have nothing else to really go on at this point. I would hate to cross Pelham off our list for the sake of I saw visually at the Kindergrten level at Hutch. The middle school was beautiful, the High School a bit worn looking, but not so terrible. Any info about what makes Pelham "good" would be really appreciated. I value an insiders opinion. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM

sorry for all the typo's above...trying to type with my 2 year old on my lap

Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
What is it that makes you think that Pelham is SO highly regarded? From everything I know, it is a very good district, but you seem to be implying that it is THE BEST district and I don't think that anyone would tell you that it is. Like most districts in Westchester, it will offer an excellent education. Does it stand out among the likes of Scarsdale, Bronxville, Chappaqua, Irvington, Rye, etc...? No.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM

I am not saying that it is THE BEST. I am just finding it a bit difficult to get a good feeling about what it is really like. The only comments I ever hear is "Oh, Pelham is a great district...people move here for the schools etc." But no one has ever given me any real reasons as to what makes it all that say it is.
Just really trying ot figure out what makes it stand out form other schools, or even liek you commented, what makes it not stand out in comparison to Scarsdale, Bronxville etc. What do those schools have better than Pelham? I am just looking for some opinions and experience from those that may be in the school and can say first hand what they feel has made it great and have a strong reputation(besides test scores, SAT's etc).

Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
I don't think Rye, Bronxville, etc. have that much more to offer than Pelham except for a more uniformly wealthy student body and the resulting higher SATs that unlimited tutoring affords.

As for saying that people move to Pelham for the schools, it's because there is no other reason to move there except for a short commute. They have no vibrant downtown and very limited activities compared to surrounding communities.

As for schools, you must realize that many of even the highest regarded schools in Westchester are still quite old and won't blow you away appearance wise.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks for you opinion jjinla. Some good points to think about and consider. I understand that some schools may be older and appearance may be lacking, which is why I want to know some reasons why people love a certain school district. Like that saying,"Don't judge a book by its cover." After hearing repeatedly that Pelham schools are great, I don't want to discount it based on what I saw appearance wise of the one elementary school. Just looking to hear about what good things go on within the school. Hoping to hear more than the generic, "oh, its a good school."
Such a hard choice to make about where to relocate (sigh).

Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
The children in Pelham get good educations. It doesn't really stand out in Westchester, though, because all the schools (with a couple of exceptions) are good in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County