U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 40,018 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a family of four- two kids age 5 and 8 months currently in Forest Hills, Queens. Considering the move to Westchester and a little overwhelmed by all of the different areas and options. Very concerned with the school options and being in walking distance (under 3/4 mile) from the RR. My husband works near wall st, but is hoping to start a new job within the year so commute could be midtown. What we are looking for may be impossible, but it must be at least a 2 bedroom, dishwasher and laundry in building if not in the apt. I'd love to throw in first floor of a multi family house with yard use but I think for our budget- under 2k- probably not happening. In any event, we are quiet intellectual family types, would love a nice community feel and the best schools we can find. Best does not just equal test scores to us, we want a nice friendly atmosphere, ideally a school that encourages independent thought and creativity and may give our kids more than our current options. Oh have to add that we cannot be up any large flights of stairs, I have health issues that would make it impossible...so no walkups. Any ideas for towns and public schools that may fit the bill? we have driven through some areas- liked larchmont, need to see more of mamaroneck, liked hastings, dobbs and especially tarrytown but keep reading Ttown schools are bad----not sure what that really means though. We have only been to the historic estate events, blaze etc. so are really just learning about all of the areas...greatly appreciate any input! We want to move in July...thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,443 times
Look on the Harlem line, too - Pleasantville is great and so are the other towns on that line.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 40,018 times
ok, would we be able to stay under an hour, hour and 20 min commute there?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,605,235 times
I'm too lazy to check, but I think the train ride is something like 50 minutes from Pleasantville. So the door-to-door travel times should still be under an hour and 20 minutes.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Garth Road/Eastchester schools come to mind.

Can someone refresh my memory - is that Scarsdale zip 10583 or is it considered Eastchester?

Either way, lots of apartment bulidings within walking distance of Scarsdale train station and village. Eastchester schools are quite good. I have no idea about prices though...

Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM

39 posts, read 83,157 times
Yes, Scarsdale zip is 10583. There are areas of Eastchester that also have 10583 zip code.

Be careful when you are looking on line at homes. Many homes may have a certain zip code but are zoned for a completely different school. For example, there are homes zoned for Yonkers schools, or New Rochelle that may have a Scarsdale zip.
I am a local, I know the area very well. Let me know if you have further questions.
You may want to look at Edgemont area too.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times
For a multi-family house, your budget is not out of line with Pelham, though you may have to search to find the right apartment sub $2k. A first floor unit may also be difficult to find, with use of the yard, but you never know what might turn up in a search. Be careful, however, to look only within Pelham as some border areas are sometimes advertised as close to Pelham, but if it's not in the school district, it's not Pelham. You would be about 30 minutes from Grand Central, so you would be within your preferred commute time/distance, as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County