U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,533,504 times

Advertisements

Of couse there is going to be some level of snobbery in these towns just because of how extremely wealthy they are. This is not particular to rich towns in Westchester though. Anywhere you go in Metro NYC where there are very wealthy towns with top notch public schools you'll find a larger concentration of people who can be a tad bit snobbish than is normal. That just comes with the terrain I'd say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,255,782 times
I've never looked at Great Schools .net before, but people here keep refering to it. so I looked and I'm pleased to report that the Yorktown schools got a "Great Schools Score" of 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10! I don't know what that is based on on, but my experience with the schools so far has been excellent.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM

22 posts, read 304,764 times
i heard that some scarsdale addresses go to yonkers schools. is this possible? are the schools as good as the eastchester schools?
i'm so confused by all of this town/ school swapping.. whats the method to the madness?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,281,682 times
I go to Scarsdale High School currently and it's nice. Have gone here my whole life, the teachers are great, the kids aren't punks, the school is wealthy, everything is just right. Scarsdale is a great school district and a great town/village.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,196,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgsdss View Post
i heard that some scarsdale addresses go to yonkers schools. is this possible? are the schools as good as the eastchester schools?
i'm so confused by all of this town/ school swapping.. whats the method to the madness?

The best answer is you go to the schools that you pay taxes for. So, sometimes a house has a post office address, but since the homeower pays tax to a different town/city - that is where their kids will go. When you look at homes - you have to tell the agent which school district and town you want.
As far as the snobby factor is concerned, it is all a matter of perspective. I am not sure what you are used to but I find that the more costly the town to live in (price of homes), the more snobby people you are likely to run across. But, there are nice people in every town too. You really have to know the culture of the town, especially if you will raise kids there because they will be influenced by their surroundings. I guess there is a relationship between a high achiever mentality and money. And a lot of people with that high achiever mentality are competitive which, at times, translates to snobby.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

I really don't think anybody with a Scarsdale post office addres goes to Yonkers schools, however I may be wrong. I believe you are thinking of Bronxville. Lots of areas in Yonkers have a Bronxville mailing address (and therefore are more pricey & exclusive), but they are zoned for Yonkers schools.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 AM

2,301 posts, read 4,473,385 times
There are two neighborhoods in the northeast corner of Yonkers (Strathmore and Beech Hill) that have Scarsdale mailing addresses. I am 100% positive.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 AM

Ok I stand (well actually sit) corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
There are two neighborhoods in the northeast corner of Yonkers (Strathmore and Beech Hill) that have Scarsdale mailing addresses. I am 100% positive.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,281,682 times
Scarsdale is a great school...
Here's a virtual tour of the high school...
Virtual Tour (broken link)

Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM

30 posts, read 53,531 times
Would it make more sense to buy an affordable home in the nicer part of Yonkers like a co-op or condo and use the money that you have saved to put your child in a private high school opposed to buying a home in lets say, Bronxville, Edgemont, Scarsdale where the public high schools are better but the homes including co-ops and condo's being far more expensive? Can anyone tell me about the tuition of these private high schools, thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County