U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 129,782 times

Advertisements

I saw some post on-line, 0.3 is the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What's the basis to judge "too high?" Is there some kind of standard or accepted criterion? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,320,337 times
The Voltage going through those lines is less then what flows through the Northeast Corridor.... Considering about 2 Million people live within 1 block of the NEC with no increased cancer rates i think you should be fine.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,734,594 times
The amount of EMF detectible at 700 feet is probably the equivalent of watching TV. OP: test and let us know.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 AM

22 posts, read 129,782 times
Thanks everyone for the input. I have given up this house. I also cancelled the EMF test. As I have the concern with the health and resale, I think it is better that I move on to find another house which is not close to the power lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
The amount of EMF detectible at 700 feet is probably the equivalent of watching TV. OP: test and let us know.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM

114 posts, read 476,382 times
THANK YOU to CaliInChappaqua for quoting actual research. I'm a former Broadcast Radio Engineer and I used to shriek when I hear people complaining about those 'not in my backyard' meetings, when companies would want to erect cell phone towers near their home. People's knee-jerk reactions to something they know nothing about but have adamant opinions about it.

THESE are the same people who not only complain about not having cell coverage near their home, but they'll also hold a phone up to their ear and talk to someone on the phone telling them that they fear for the radiation. YOU'RE CELL PHONE IS EMITTING RADIATION WHILE YOU'RE TALKING ON YOUR CELL PHONE!!! Seriously, don't people realize this?

Most don't realize that the design of the cell tower's antenna is outward, not downward. You could stand underneath a cell tower and receive far less radiation than if you were talking on a cell while holding it up to your ear.

Research about high-voltage utility lines are mostly inconclusive, from what I have read. I've even read some that you would be exposed to more EMF if your bed shared a wall next to a refrigerator, than you would if you lived near HV power lines.

My father's in construction. He recently visited a home he had installed new windows and a screened-in porch. He got a call back from the customer and complained that they get a shock when they touch the (metal) post on the back porch. The exterior of the house is aluminum siding, if I recall. When he arrived, the customer showed it to him. He touched it and felt nothing. "No, you need to stand here." He walked down the steps to the ground, touched the post and received a helluva shock! Keep touching it and you keep getting a shock. This was a few years ago so I don't recall the exact number, but I believe he said that he put his meter to the ground and the post and it registered 10 volts!

The fix? The electric company came out and installed a larger grounding rod for the home.

What was unique about this house? It was within 700 feet of a HV utility line. That alone tells me that "something is up". What effects will that have on you? Again, from the research that I have read, it's inconclusive, but that example alone made me wary.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM

107 posts, read 366,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
What was unique about this house? It was within 700 feet of a HV utility line. That alone tells me that "something is up". What effects will that have on you? Again, from the research that I have read, it's inconclusive, but that example alone made me wary.
You can't blame the power lines for the house having an electrical hot spot. If the power lines had been electrifying the house, they would have done so evenly over the house's surface and your father would have felt a shock at the top of the stairs as well as the bottom.

As a thought experiment to illustrate this point, consider sunlight. You will get as much sunlight on the porch as you do at the bottom of the porch stairs, assuming there are no obstructions between you and the sun. The radiation coming off the high voltage power lines is electromagnetic radiation just like sunlight but in a different wavelength. Therefore, the house would have received just as much radiation from the power lines on the porch as at the bottom of the porch stairs.

It seems reasonable to me that if high voltage power lines were electrifying houses, we would know. Aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity. It is most likely that a bare wire was in contact with the siding where the owner was feeling the shock.

I have lived in one home that required additional grounding, and it was nowhere near high voltage power lines. I'm certain the proximity of the house you mention to high voltage power lines in merely coincidental.

Remember: Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYWESTCHESTER View Post
Thanks, everyone! The powerline is invisible from the house. It is on the other side of saw mill road. There are 3 more rows of houses between the house that I wanted to buy and the powerline, the saw mill road is in between. The powerline is about 700 feet away. I am more concerned with the health issue than the resale value. I will take a EMF test, and might have to pass this house if the reading is too high.
Good for you. Any decent EMF detector will be able to pick up ambient EMFs.

I would not rely on people who insist you needn't worry at all. The studies on the subject of EMF are inconclusive. If you want to bet your life on inconclusive evidence then by all means ignore it. Personally I would not want to live anywhere there is greater than 1 milligauss ambient EMF. And frankly I'd really prefer the field be non-detectable.

Bear this in mind, if the field is detectable from inside the home then you will be exposed to it 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Nothing can shield EMFs so you are stuck with it no matter what. However, based on the placement of the wires, the current, and some other factors the field may not even be detectable from the residence even if the wires look scary. I'd take two readings at different times of day but if you get no field detection then guess what--you just got a bargain.

People who don't know how to test the strength of an EMF will be scared off so you'll be bidding alone AND armed with the knowledge that the field is normal. If the field is over 1 milligauss I'd run not walk away. For extra piece of mind you should get a reading from inside the home as well as along the entire perimeter of the property.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,536 times
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County