Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 PM

258 posts, read 673,256 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a home/townhouse in one of these cities. We have two elementary school children and would like an excellent school district. We saw a house in pleasantville but there is the Saw mill hywy behind it. We can hear the noise from the yard. We also sar a town home in briarcliff. Both are similarly priced. My husband has to commute to Purchase (near white plains). The taxes are Very high in the tow home. The house in pleasant like is ok and the two home in briarcliff is small. But good. Just wanted to know what you people think in terms of making a choice. The no busing in pleasant like is a drawback but what else can we weigh?
How do the schools compare ?
Do we have a train commute from briar cliff to white plains or NYC?
Can anyone compare the two towns .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,279 times
Both school districts are excellent and smaller in size (one elementary, one middle school, one high school), and both towns have nice amenities including a town pool. Pleasantville is more laid black and blue collar, with a more robust and charming downtown along with a train station on the harlem line which runs to white plains and NYC. Briarcliff's train station is along the Hudson (does not go to white plains) and not as convenient to get to from neighborhoods that are closer to Pleasantville.

Why not rent first until you find something you really like instead of buying something that you feel you would be compromising on ?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

223 posts, read 828,374 times
There are more problems on PLeasanville train line in general than Hudson due to trees along train line which sometime fall down during storms although both commutes are similar. Schools are comparable. THe town of Pleasanville is bigger, more shops, restaurants, property sizes are generally bigger in Briarcliff, more walkable. Both are very nice towns. I think taxes in Briarcliff are slightly higher.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any good rental properties in Briarcliff? Whereabouts?

Is it a mixed population in briar cliff, if you don,t mind the question. We are Asian And have vey good american friends but it would be nice to know how varied briarcliff is.

Is there someway we can go to white plains by train or would it be too time consuming and a bother? What is the best route to take from briar cliff to purchase considering traffic? ( sprain, sawmill etc)

Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

51 posts, read 144,607 times
Pville to Wp on the harlem line. Both towns are great and both will have asian kids. B-cliff will not be as laid back as pville. Your fine in either town. Great choices!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM

223 posts, read 828,374 times
Probably must easier to drive to Purchase than take the train, its about a 20 minute drive, not sure how your husband would get from WP train station to Purchase where he works

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Looks like the briarcliff home is in the flood zone and apparently flooded once. Our realtor just got the news. I din,t get a chace to talk in detail with her but that,s the bottome line. What a bummer! We are so disappointed. Anybody has any idea what this means? Briar cliff is indeed a beautiful
Place.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM

We are looking at a home on one of the tree streets. I can't understand why only selected properties in the area (street) can be the in the flood zone. Or are many properties in these streets prone to flooding? Any ideas? Is it worthwhile to pursue this or should we forget about the whole thing?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,279 times
All of Westchester is prone to flooding. It might be worth asking if the flood was due to a severe event (like Hurricane Irene) or just a heavy rain? If a home truly had issues it would probably have flooded more than once unless the owners remedied the problem with french drains, etc. If you really like the house otherwise, I wouldn't rule it out without more info.

My house is in a "flood zone" such that we are required by the bank to carry the FEMA flood insurance. We have a good french drain system and never had an issue even in the heaviest rains. When the basement/lower level family room flooded during Irene, my insurance covered all repairs and I ended up with a brand new downstairs room. Other people in the area who were not officially in a flood zone had the same amount of damage but no insurance coverage...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

It appears that the house was flooded -I am not sure if it was once or more. We'll follow up on that. Is the flood insurance expensive ESP if the house has been flooded before. Are the French drains expensive and are they very effective? We are new to this and any information will be useful. I called the engineering office and they confirmed many of these properties are indeed in the flood zone. But I didn't ask for details. I,ll do that. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County