U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,736,597 times

Advertisements

Larchmont is Asian?? Compared to what?

Eastchester is much more blue collar than Larchmont and Scarsdale. And to me, they are a bit more in your face New Yorkers, which just was a turn off having come from out of state. As for Scarsdale, my son attended schools there, and now here. You could not get me to move there if you gave me a free house. It obviously isn't all bad if so many choose to live there, but the rumors of competition and such are absolutely true. The Sound Shore towns are so much more laid back, if that is what one is looking for, which we were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 AM

116 posts, read 308,072 times
Quote:
As for Scarsdale, my son attended schools there, and now here. You could not get me to move there if you gave me a free house.
What happened?!? You read so many comments like this about Scarsdale and I wish people gave more details! We really wanted to be in Larchmont but the house just didn't materialize. Larchmont is a tiny town, Scarsdale is bigger and there's more inventory here under 1 mil. But the internet abounds with disdain for Scarsdale. We were almost afraid to even look here, much like the OP.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 AM

739 posts, read 1,605,132 times
In-your-face New Yorkers... Hmmm... Well, if they can afford a half-million dollar home that is a fixer-upper, maybe blue-collar workers are doing better than we all thought.
Anyway, when I last looked around in Larchmont, the demographic showed that Hommocks School had a large Asian population. That may have changed and as I had hoped to convey, the ethnicity of each town was not without a mix of different people.

Now. Scarsdale. When I was growing up, it was known as a wealthy Jewish enclave with a Catholic area around Immaculate Heart of March Church (where I was baptized, ). At the time we lived on Johnson Road. It may still be that way; I don't know. The environment was always pretty competitive which is probably why people don't care for Scarsdale. One of my best friends grew up in a lovely home on Heathcote Road and said she always felt poor because it wasn't in Fox Meadow, .
Larchmont is on the Sound and has a very nice public park. The downtown area (if you can call it that) is quaint and attractive. Scarsdale has a lovely, Tudor-style downtown. It also has the Scarsdale Pool which is pretty nice.
People are often uncomfortable when talking about ethnicity. If a town is known for having a large population of one kind or another, it shouldn't be interpreted as good or bad. It just is.
Crestwood has a large Irish-Catholic population. Most of the kids go to the Catholic schools in the area. The neighborhood is just beautiful and it has a Scarsdale zip code (10583). Don't tell anybody it is Yonkers, though.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Truthfully, a half a million dollars isn't that big of a deal. Most teachers and cops all make over six figures after a few years, and just based on how much the home service providers I've found charge, they are doing pretty well, too.

As for Scarsdale, we attended a well known preschool there and in one full year we weren't invited to a single party nor playdate. When you dropped your kids off, the parents didn't even look at each other, and instead of dropping off their kids in tee shirts and flip flops, the women would be wearing Jimmy Choo 4" heels. It was all very gawdy and showy...think Real Housewives instead of Desperate Housewives or Cougar Town for the women. The director of the school specifically told me NOT to send my kids to their schools after elementary because of the competition even.

Anyway, in local stores, people were just rude to each other. That just doesn't happen where I am now, mainly because everyone knows one another or will at one point, so you can't be a jerk anonymously. Even at my gym, you always know when someone from Scarsdale shows up because without fail, they'll be the ones complaining about classes being full, the temperature, parking, you know it. I hate to generalize, but they all seem so very high strung.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times
The issue with Scarsdale has nothing to do with ethnicity or religion, but a type of nouveau-riche mindset that pervades the town, even if the money is not earned in that generation. It is an area in which people want to be noticed for possessions, and want it to be known that they live in Scarsdale, and precisely where in Scarsdale, as there are ranks within the town.

Of course, this is at the extreme, and there are people unconcerned with the status of Scarsdale in the town, but the concentration of the competitive-in-all-areas set does get to be tiresome with which do deal, especially within schools. Scarsdale is not a low-key town, whereas Larchmont-Mamaroneck, Rye, and Pelham Manor are not as caught up in the pretension of a particular lifestyle. Rye can be clubby, however, but it is not as competitive as Scarsdale. And, Bronxville does have a degree of competiton, especially in the schools, along with some social exclusivity within the village.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
I find the generalizations about Scarsdale, coming from people who don't even live here, to be a bit much. Just because you attended one school for one year where the moms liked to dress up doesn't mean every one is like that. We attended a pre-school here too and all the moms were showing up in regular clothes and flip-flops thank you very much. I have met many lovely people here who do NOT fit the stereotype at all.

Unfortunately, whether it actually exists or is just in people's heads, there is a "vibe" about Scarsdale that it is competitive and snobby, and so you start to look around for it, and low and behold, you find it because there ARE people like that. And then everyone thinks that everyone must be like that because that's what they've heard and well, here are some people acting like that, so...

I think people should be aware that one person's experience IS NOT THE EXPERIENCE OF EVERYONE ELSE. Geez.

Last edited by streetsmart; 05-29-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM

116 posts, read 308,072 times
Well jjinla gave a good specific example. Her preschool didn't have a nice welcoming feeling. That would probably turn me off too, although maybe just to the school not necessarily the whole town. Larchmont has more of a small town vibe because it IS a smaller town. Scarsdale is more spread out and there is more of a sense of specific zones/neighborhoods. Larchmont and Rye are lovely, but you may not find the house you want there! Sometimes you have to look past the short list. From just reading online commentary, you would not even want to set foot in Scarsdale because there are so many remarks about its snobbiness, horrible attitudes and competitiveness. However, there is also a lot of negative commentary about Mamaroneck schools (which Larchmont feeds into at the middle and high school levels). Dig deeper past the stereotypes for the specific details so that you can make your own informed choice. I for one plan to wear flip flops AND sweatpants to the preschool drop off, just to do my part!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

How many people that acually LIVE in Scarsdale are going to say that they hate it? It kind of follows that if you didn't like the area, you chose not to live there. Aren't you actually leaving Scarsdale yourself to live here? If so, perhaps you could be helpful in saying what you did or did not like.

I thought that I gave pretty concrete examples. We used to live right (rent) on the Scarsdale/Mamaroneck border so spent more than enough time there in town to give a substantive answer. Are there nice people in Scarsdale? Of course there are! Plenty. Just because someone lives in Scarsdale doesn't mean that they are hyper-competitive, flashy and materialistic. But a huge percentage of people that I've met that are hyper-competive, flashy and materialistic ARE from Scarsdale, so I stand by my opinion of it.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
The reason I get so annoyed by the posts about Scarsdale is because people paint everyone in the town with the same brush. It's just understood that people in Scarsdale are snobby, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses type of people and that hasn't been my experience AT ALL. The trouble is, no one ever says that not everyone they have met from the town is super competitive/snobby/materialistic/whatever. People only bring up the experiences that fit the stereotype and leave out the rest.

Why are we leaving? A few reasons - the house is the main one, and we have now found a house that we love in a more walkable/bike-rideable neighborhood. We are also sending our kids to a private ecole if you KWIM. We just didn't know the area well when we moved up here so we picked Scarsdale to focus on because we knew some people here whose kids got into Cornell, Columbia, and Duke, so it sounded good. I am not at all put off by "pressure-cooker" schools quite frankly.

Sorry for the rant. Do I love Scarsdale? No. Is it as terrible as everyone says it is? Not at all.

AliciaN - I think you ended up in Edgewood, correct? I LOVE that neighborhood, especially Davis Park. I hope you like it there. Also, in the fall you should check out the new residents club, which has great events.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM

217 posts, read 402,849 times
why are moms wearing high heels to pick up children? sounds a little a gross...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County