U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 40,143 times

Advertisements

hi! trying to relocate from queens and not finding much in our 2k budget to rent. Have 2 kids, and husband will need to walk to train for commute. (currently wall st area, hoping to move to midtown soon) Rentals like this are few and far between, but i have seen a few decent looking 2 family houses in harrison. Not finding muhc talk about the area online, what are the schools like? any info is appreciated, we have to move within 8 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM

815 posts, read 1,989,574 times
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with Harrison, it's just kind of unremarkable when compared to other Westchester towns. It's a big area with a small and not-so-great "downtown". Purchase is a wealthy area within Harrison with several big name companies, but if you need walk to train then you wouldn't be out there. The schools are absolutely fine, very good in fact. I think there is a slightly larger blue-collar population in Harrison than surrounding areas.

Have you driven around the neighborhoods near the train station?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,170,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
I don't think there is anything at all wrong with Harrison, it's just kind of unremarkable when compared to other Westchester towns. It's a big area with a small and not-so-great "downtown". Purchase is a wealthy area within Harrison with several big name companies, but if you need walk to train then you wouldn't be out there. The schools are absolutely fine, very good in fact. I think there is a slightly larger blue-collar population in Harrison than surrounding areas.

Have you driven around the neighborhoods near the train station?
Harrison is very quiet, will be a big change from Queens. On the bright side, Hajime sushi is excellent, and there is a Japanese grocery store also.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM

OK, big plus for good sushi and japanese grocery! is there a japanese community there? We have spent several days driving everywhere from pleasantville to pelham but somehow missed harrison---thanks for the info. blue collar is fine, as long as people are nice and there are lots of involved families at the schools.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,170,975 times
Theres a sizeable Japanese community sprinkled over Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Rye and Harrison. There's also the Japanese boarding school in White Plains (I forget the name now, Keio perhaps). But like I say, Harrison is v. quiet, too sleepy for many, including me.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM

We do prefer towns with more going on like larchmont, tarrytown...but we cant afford or cannot find rentals there. Id be ok with moving again in a few years, right now I just want to try having a yard for my kids!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

100 posts, read 344,839 times
Croton might be alright if you really want that yard, stuff like this is around Beautiful two bedroom. It looks shared, but probably only among 2-4 familes. Croton is actually better for commuting via train than a lot of places much further south due to having a trainyard, which means lots of express trains, as well as a gargantuan parking lot (not much housing that's walkable to the train, or at least not walkable in the way that Ossining, Tarrytown, Hastings , Dobbs and Irvington are). Not a ton going on though.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,750,345 times
The 2 families in Harrison are in a more rundown area of town, and you'll have lots of train noise as well. You can walk to town, but there really isn't much there once you get there, as others have noted. Harrison is just a really disconnected town without a real identity, IMO. You've got the rich in Purchase, the also wealthy but less so developments in West Harrison, the nicer homes near the trails/Rye border, and then the very Italian working class area near the station. It's not unsafe, and people are nice, but you do really get what you pay for in Westchester.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM

815 posts, read 1,989,574 times
Here's the thing you're going to have to face - $2K for a rental in a nice neighborhood in Westchester with decent schools within walking distance to the train just isn't going to happen. You are going to have to make trade offs. Can you increase your budget? How far can your husband stand to walk to the station? Do you absolutely need a yard? For example, there is an apartment available in Larchmont at your price point that would be a healthy walk to the train, no yard, but you'd be in Larchmont with excellent schools and a great neighborhood.

Westchester is all about trade-offs, we all had to make them. Unless you are filthy rich.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM

366 posts, read 507,886 times
You can get a 2 bedroom apartment at the Highlands at Rye which is across the street from the train station and in the Rye school district for around $2000. Of course, our building also flooded during the last hurricane but those don't happen too often... And we don't have any outdoor space except for a lovely courtyard but you're not allowed on the grass. As streetsmart said, it's all about trade-offs. You won't be able to get everything you want for your budget unless you don't have a budget!

Two family homes are probably your best bet, but those are probably going to be in places like White Plains. The schools are good... but you won't be able to walk to the train station! You'll have to decide what you can give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County