U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM

52 posts, read 139,383 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a teaching position in Mamaroneck so we are moving at the end of the summer from the Capital Region area. We are hoping to move to the Mamaroneck/Larchmont area and I may possibly be working in the Rye area.

My youngest is 4 and I would welcome recommendations for Catholic Schools in the area that offer PreK. He currently attends full day nursery school at a Catholic School here and think that would be the best and most affordable full day option. It seems full day preschools are few and far between in the area and very costly (we are both teachers so cost is a major factor).

A school close to either Mamaroneck/Larchmont or Rye would be preferred. It would most likely be only for one year as we probably will enroll him in public kindergarten but maybe not if we end up loving the school.

So far we have been looking at Holy Name of Jesus School in New Rochelle, Corpus Christi/Holy Rosary in Port Chester, Good Counsel Academy in White Plains and Resurrection Grammar School in Rye. If anyone has info on these (good or bad) or other recommendations for affordable full day preschools, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,737,738 times
LOL...affordable full day preschools in this area? Not so much. Most are close to $20K.

Off the top of my head I know there is St. John and Paul in Larchmont, and Little Flower in Mamaroneck (but I don't know that LF is anything but a preK). I don't know for sure if either of these do full day, but they are preschools. There are many full day preschools here, but few are religious based it seems.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I know preschools are pretty pricey in the area. Here in Albany, Catholic school prek is the most affordable option so I figured that might be the case in Westchester as well.

St John and Paul in Larchmont doesn't offer PreK and Little Flower doesn't seem to offer full day but the website is a bit confusing so if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

48 posts, read 80,406 times
Try Our Lady of Fatima in Scarsdale. I was considering the school for my older son and went on the tour - the staff was really warm and friendly. I decided not to sign up just because the preschool was really only for 4 year olds and my son was 2 at the time and as it turns out has a sensory disorder. The program was a little too structured for my son, but I definitely feel is worth going on the tour to check out. Tuition rates are included on their website.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:21 PM

45 posts, read 76,643 times
My son went to Holy Name of Jesus in New Rochelle (close to Larchmont) and we lived in Larchmont. Pretty affordable and has after school care till 6 (which he loved). It is a diverse little school and the teachers were great. He was very happy there and well-prepared for kindergarten! best of luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM

17 posts, read 53,492 times
I hear good things about Reasurection in Rye.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Contacted Holy Name of Jesus and some other schools and haven't heard back from many of them. Perhaps their PreK are full? Checked our Resurrection but they are sadly out of our price range. So far Corpus Christi/Holy Rosary is the only place who has confirmed openings for Fall and I will check them out on Friday. Waiting to see about tuition costs though.

Between this and trying to find a place to live in August, I am feeling highly stressed!
Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM

If you are willing to try a non denominational pre-school, I cannot say enough great things about the program at the YWCA in White Plains. The extended day program (9 am - 3 pm) runs around $9,500. They also have the option of 3 full days and 2 half days that runs around $8,500. The 4's am program (9 am - 12 pm) runs about $5,700. I realize this is still expensive but better than $20k if that is what you are running into. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks bc2007 for the recommendation. Nondenominational is fine as we are more focused on cost more than anything else. Unfortunately we would need a place that runs later than 3pm. Does the White Plains YMCA offer aftercare. Is there a website link?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Here is the Y's website YWCA White Plains: Nursery. They offer late pick up until 6:00 pm for 4 - 5 year olds.

The director of the program is wonderful. When my son was first diagnosed with a sensory disorder, his SEIT was reassigned before the first session. The director and the staff went out of their way and found a new SEIT teacher for him who has been A+. I didn't have to do a thing. They will do their best to take care of you there. Slots fill up quickly so I hope you will be able to get into the program. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or