Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 PM

17 posts, read 48,910 times

Advertisements

We think we've narrowed down our search for a new town in Westchester (moving from elsewhere in Westchester) and looking for advice. Our kids are 3 and 6 and good schools are important, but like others here, we're looking for a place that's down to earth, where our girls can make neighborhood friends easily, and where we won't be one of the few families with a working mom and dad. We'll be commuting to NYC and Purchase. Also important is that we're not too far from everyday conveniences like a good supermarket, bagel shop, maybe clothing stores, etc. Also, does anyone know how big the grades are in Briarcliff? Westchester Mag doesn't list senior class size for example. I know Blind Brook is very small - wondering if that should be a concern for availability of classes, school sports, etc. later on.
Thanks.

Editing to add that bussing would be helpful as would availability of an after school program for truly working parents (to 6pm!)

Last edited by LW123; 06-16-2012 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Adding content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM

223 posts, read 824,097 times
I live in Briarcliff. This is my sons first year in Kindergarten. Class size in Elementary school is about 100(5 classes, 20 per class). I think high school has about 150 per grade. I dtill think they have access to plenty of activities and classes with this size. The elementary school has an afterschool program right at the school which I use, its available until 6:30 and very good. My daughter who is 3 also attends a very good daycare in Briarcliff. Bus picks him up at 8am. I would not say working moms are the norm but there are some but I do find the people in town to be very nice and most are down to earth. Train is good as its a 42 minute express ride to NYC Plenty of supermarkets and daily conveniences within a 5-10 min drive and Mall in White plains is only 15 minutes away. Anywhere in Westchester you will be within 15 minutes of a lot of shopping. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM

258 posts, read 903,717 times
I think any of the areas mentioned will be fine. Briarcliff schools are small and the senior class size is very small. I do not know exact figures but there is one elementary school, one ms and one high school. I know they have a bus that takes kids to the JCC in Pleasantville which has an afterschool program for kids from several towns (Armonk, Briarcliff, Mt Pleasant, Pleasantville, & Chappaqua). I do not know if they also have an afterschool program within their school. Many Westchester towns have a Y in their school for working parents. irvington kids can be bussed for afterschool to the JCC in Tarrytown.
Irvington and Briarcliff (I am not familiar with Blind Brook) both have bagel stores and nearby supermarkets. In Irvington, you are very close to Ridge Hill and the Palisades for clothes. If you are looking for boutiques, I am not sure. In Briarcliff, you are not too far from Route 6 which has the JV mall. I think Irvington is probably a bit more convenient.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM

51 posts, read 143,762 times
Which area of Westchester would you prefer should be the question? All of those towns are great.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 48,910 times
Thank you, all. I'm especially glad to hear that there is some after school care, as I'm nervous about finding a single, afterschool person to trust/not get sick, etc. Available until 6:30 is great too, since I'd be further from my office too. We visited again this past weekend, and are coming to terms with the taxes. Happy to see it seems small, friendly, yet convenient enough. Are you happy with the supermarket selection and daily conveniences - for clothing I'll drive 15 minutes, but not food shopping and dry cleaning!

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM

223 posts, read 824,097 times
Yes there is a large Stop and Shop and also a medium size A&P in town, both have everything you need. Also plenty of liquor stores, nail salons and dry cleaners and lots of Chinese and Italian dining! I love the afterschool program, its very convenient. And on half days they keep the kids for the extra hours also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County