U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM

133 posts, read 213,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
HOWEVER, if you must be closer to the conjestion/ southern Westchester feel, then definitely look at Thornwood (Westlake school district) area. That is 15 minutes away from the airport side of Purchase via backroads near the reservoir/RT 22/airport. All of the areas I mentioned including those of us in the north have good schools. Good Luck!
I see OP was June last year, and I am not sure if OP find place, but if you are still looking, I agree with Eileen824. Look around Thornwood and Hawthorn area- it is nice family oriented area with good school, nice community center with pool, and a lot of family oriented activities. If you don't mind live in smaller home (1200-1400sqft) 3BR 1-2BR, then there are listings in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM

425 posts, read 950,200 times
I think Mahopac might be a good choice for you. Schools are comparable to some Westchester Districts and the commute would not be too bad once you learn the short cuts down to Purchase. You might find a house in Somers or Yorktown in your range but it will probably need work.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM

31 posts, read 120,786 times
I live in Putnam County, hamlet of Carmel. We're actually looking to move south into Westchester, but the home prices up here are very reasonable, and the schools are good. A townhouse in the community we live in costs in the $230K range right now, with HOA fees of $300/month. The commute to Purchase wouldn't be terrible - my husband commuted to West Harrison for a year, and then to Stamford for 3 years, and really, it's not bad, especially compared to his NYC commute that he's now been doing for 2 years (hence why we're looking to move south).

Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 AM

317 posts, read 482,941 times
We're considering moving to CT, cause theres no descent houses in our price range of $400k and under, all that we saw so far in westchester, were alot of fixer uppers or overpriced and cramped condos!!! And the taxes are insane too, saw a house in new rochelle for $399k and the taxes were $16,000, outside looked great, as soon as you go in, it was dated and needed several upgrades and no bathrooms on the first floor. The boiler was close to its limit and all the wiring in the house would need replacing.

Unless youre poor or rich, Westchester isnt for any of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or