U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

5,559 posts, read 3,661,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
This is exactly right.
If you want community, look elsewhere.
Do you have kids?
No children. We are moving back to the East coast to be with family. Stamford is a possibility. We like the feeling of Tarrytown, but it is small and the taxes are through the roof. Bronxville zip code is another possibility we are investigating. Nothing in Bergen Country sounds like it has the feeling we want (congested and utilitarian) while Hudson County is almost as expensive as the city. So we continue to seek out possibilities. Stamford is the most likely alternative at this time. New Haven seems to be too far from family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,685,691 times
I know that JJ in LA (If I got the posters name right), had mentioned Riverdale/kingsbridge. I think it's definitely one of the better neighborhoods in the city that offers a lot while at the same time maintaining good prices for your QOL. During the building boom they had constructed a number of new buildings on both sides of Broadway. The great thing about that part of The Bronx, is that if you want to access towns in the Hudson Valley it's pretty easy (especially by train, Tarrytown is only two or three stops away on an express metro north train.)

I know it's a little bit farther, and you'd have to be more dependent on your car but Nyack is nice small town with a good sense of community. It's directly across the river from Tarrytown, very small similar sized town.

As for Hudson County, have you ever tried looking around Journal Square in Jersey City? Yeah there are some issues with crime but you can get some awesome deals in the area. The further you go down Kennedy Blvd there's a good mix of new and old buildings/refurbs etc. (as well as Lincoln Park, which is a hidden gem of a park). There are some blocks where the crime can get ridiculous, but still I find the good parts to outweigh the bad. They're the regular things that you get used to from living in cities/urban areas. At the same time it's very easy to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn from there, as well as Newark International Airport.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Was it you who was considering Toronto also? I think that would meet your needs better to be honest. It's a very livable city with tons of residential neighborhoods right in the heart of the city... But if your family is here then I would second Stamford.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I know that JJ in LA (If I got the posters name right), had mentioned Riverdale/kingsbridge. I think it's definitely one of the better neighborhoods in the city that offers a lot while at the same time maintaining good prices for your QOL.

I know it's a little bit farther, and you'd have to be more dependent on your car but Nyack is nice small town with a good sense of community. It's directly across the river from Tarrytown, very small similar sized town.

As for Hudson County, have you ever tried looking around Journal Square in Jersey City? Yeah there are some issues with crime but you can get some awesome deals in the area. The further you go down Kennedy Blvd there's a good mix of new and old buildings/refurbs etc. (as well as Lincoln Park, which is a hidden gem of a park). There are some blocks where the crime can get ridiculous, but still I find the good parts to outweigh the bad. They're the regular things that you get used to from living in cities/urban areas. At the same time it's very easy to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn from there, as well as Newark International Airport.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know what the cross streets are on Broadway in Riverdale where these new buildings were constructed? What is the shopping area like? I have never been in that neck of the woods so I have no idea what it is like.

The thing that scares me a bit about Nyack is that I am going to rely on the Tapan Zee Bridge. I briefly passed through it when we visited and it seems "fragile". Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for Jersey City and Hudson County, right now we are living in Lakeview in Chicago so we are sort of use to "urban living". But, I would like to try out a neighborhood where I do not feel the constant hidden stress of crime - e.g. always looking in all directions as I walk. I know that everyone who lives as I do eventually learns to accommodate these stresses, but it would be nice to be without them for a while.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Was it you who was considering Toronto also? I think that would meet your needs better to be honest. It's a very livable city with tons of residential neighborhoods right in the heart of the city... But if your family is here then I would second Stamford.
Yes, we were thinking of Toronto and visited the city with very high hopes, especially since we have relatives there. Since my wife is a Canadian citizen, immigration would be straightforward. However:

1) The rent and cost of homes/condos have gone through the roof. Unbelievable pricing. They are now going through the same bubble the rest of the world went through (exactly the same speculation and speculators) and I imagine the end result will be the same. It is all being fueled by excessively low interest rates and down payments, but the government is reluctant to move to raise down payments, which would slow down the speculation, because they are afraid the effect it would have on employment. Just another Ponzi scheme that will end badly. I guess we might consider in the future except for the fact:

2) Food costs and taxes are sky high! The overall COL hit would be huge. People in Toronto are polite but not necessarily happy. I think the stress of living in the area is impossible to keep in oneself and hide. I loved the Danforth area and even the Beaches. We thought the area around Ellington would be nice but so does everyone else so vacancies are almost non-existent. Plus:

3) Traffic is a mess. The whole public/rapid rail system needs a huge upgrade and the planning is non-existent. Everyone comes into the city via the high loop and then piles in via the slow moving streets. It is a nightmare. I felt it was like NYC but much worse, since it doesn't have the subway system that allows for at least some mobility.

Toronto has everything we want but unfortunately ... then some. :-)

Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yes, we were thinking of Toronto and visited the city with very high hopes, especially since we have relatives there. Since my wife is a Canadian citizen, immigration would be straightforward. However:

1) The rent and cost of homes/condos have gone through the roof. Unbelievable pricing. They are now going through the same bubble the rest of the world went through (exactly the same speculation and speculators) and I imagine the end result will be the same. It is all being fueled by excessively low interest rates and down payments, but the government is reluctant to move to raise down payments, which would slow down the speculation, because they are afraid the effect it would have on employment. Just another Ponzi scheme that will end badly. I guess we might consider in the future except for the fact:

2) Food costs and taxes are sky high! The overall COL hit would be huge. People in Toronto are polite but not necessarily happy. I think the stress of living in the area is impossible to keep in oneself and hide. I loved the Danforth area and even the Beaches. We thought the area around Ellington would be nice but so does everyone else so vacancies are almost non-existent. Plus:

3) Traffic is a mess. The whole public/rapid rail system needs a huge upgrade and the planning is non-existent. Everyone comes into the city via the high loop and then piles in via the slow moving streets. It is a nightmare. I felt it was like NYC but much worse, since it doesn't have the subway system that allows for at least some mobility.

Toronto has everything we want but unfortunately ... then some. :-)
Yes, Toronto is expensive. Very. What you have to realize is that you get a lot of services for your taxes. But traffic is terrible you're right. If I lived in the city I wouldn't drive much, find a place you can walk to shops etc and hop on the subway for the rest. (The Danforth and The Beaches are great neighborhoods!) And if by 'high loop' you mean Hwy 401 then you are right - it has previously been judged the most congested highway in North America.

Eh, I guess you just get used to some things. I fear you aren't going to find paradise around here either...

Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,736,597 times
Doesn't your family live in Brooklyn? What about Williamsburg? It's up and coming.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Yes, Toronto is expensive. Very. What you have to realize is that you get a lot of services for your taxes. But traffic is terrible you're right. If I lived in the city I wouldn't drive much, find a place you can walk to shops etc and hop on the subway for the rest. (The Danforth and The Beaches are great neighborhoods!) And if by 'high loop' you mean Hwy 401 then you are right - it has previously been judged the most congested highway in North America.

Eh, I guess you just get used to some things. I fear you aren't going to find paradise around here either...
Alas!, Paradise continues to elude me. But I am willing to settle for much less. Maybe Stamford is the key. Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to visit the last time around, so it is on our shopping list along with Riverdale.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,736,597 times
Not to discourage you, but I find Stamford no better than White Plains, personally. I certainly wouldn't move halfway across the country for either.

IMO they are both just places to work for many white collar professionals, shop for others in nearby NIMBY neighborhoods, have small tonier neighborhoods for those favoring private schools, and yet have a sizeable low-income population since people don't fight against them as much in urban areas.

Neither city has a bit of culture. They are as soul-less and vanilla as cities get.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Not to discourage you, but I find Stamford no better than White Plains, personally. I certainly wouldn't move halfway across the country for either.

IMO they are both just places to work for many white collar professionals, shop for others in nearby NIMBY neighborhoods, have small tonier neighborhoods for those favoring private schools, and yet have a sizeable low-income population since people don't fight against them as much in urban areas.

Neither city has a bit of culture. They are as soul-less and vanilla as cities get.
Ouch! But I certainly appreciate the frank descriptions. Mainly we are moving because we have been in Chicago for 40 years but all of our family is on the East coast. At first, it seemed like a slam dunk. But it is turning out to be anything but. Thanks again! It will help us better plan our next trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or