Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times

Advertisements

I know this is an exaggeration, but Rye teens are nuts! First, a teen ran away and was found days later. Then there was the horrible hazing story, which has supposedly been going on for awhile. Then another teen was lost or ran away, but was found within a couple of hours. And now a 14-year-old is responsible for this hoax that involved 30 police officers responding to a home invasion 911 call.

No New Details on False Rye Shooting Report | The Harrison Daily Voice

Seriously?? What is going on here? I know people usually list Rye among the best schools in Westchester, but I'm not sure I would want my child going to school with these kids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Lol, I was thinking the same thing just based on the two recent runaways. And, you forgot the building super in Rye that was caught on a nanny Cam having...ahem...relations with a family's dog recently.

No thanks, I'm staying where I am.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 AM

156 posts, read 304,770 times
Growing up with wealthy parents, coupled with the fact that they know they can get away with anything because the police in town can't do squat against these lawyer-toting parents makes for a bad combo. The library in town has been vandalized numerous times by these kids and I don't believe it even makes the local papers.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 AM

156 posts, read 304,770 times
Actually that building super is a grown man, not a teen, but that's another upsetting incident in this town.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
All these super-affluent towns go through cycles of teen madness. This is a topic that the Urban Dictionary doesn't exaggerate. And, as noted, most of it never hits the papers. too many kids just have too much time, too much money, too-often absent parents, huge houses and an infinite supply of booze or designer drugs of choice. Anybody thinking that thinks they can escape it by passing over Rye in favor of Larchmont, Bronxville, Scarsdale etc. is kidding themselves.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
I was kidding...I know it happens here, too. In fact some teens were busted recently for assaulting a guy in a bar in the city and instead of coming down on them locally, some folks went ape screaming at the papers for printing their names as it would hurt their reputation.

Same with the first Rye kid. He escaped from a drug treatment program, and locals were miffed that they mentioned that in the police's search. Um, hello, it was slightly relevant to their search since they ultimately found him in a drug-infested area.

Last edited by jjinla; 07-03-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times
Yeah, I didn't include the super since he's not a teen. I didn't know that first kid was in drug rehab. Wow! But yeah, I agree with everyone. It just seemed like an awful lot all at once!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM

66 posts, read 139,264 times
A lot of this has been happening for years and it's really sad. A member of my family knows a crossing guard by Rye HS and has said that the kids drink alcohol in cars during lunch. A number of years ago a teen in Larchmont Manor hit a kid w/a car and a lot of the neighbors defended the speeding teen and stopped just short of blaming the kid who was around 9 years old.

Scarsdale has had it's problems w/drugs and alcohol at homecoming dances. I hate to admit but when I was at New Rochelle HS a girl from a wealthy north end family was lying in the hallway strung out on acid one day. Mom probably took her to Saks that afternoon. A friend of mine admitted picking out the paint for her new room while on something. Didn't like the paint. The painter came back and repainted after she came down from her trip and picked another color.

There are thousands of these stories out there.

The problem is is that the parents in these type of cases all are very self involved. It's just too much trouble to be a parent when you are involved in 35 committees and go away w/your spouse 3 out of 4 weekends a month. Knowing a number of these type families I can say that it starts when the kids are young. The sense of entitlement is astounding. The child is reprimanded in school and the parents come in and yell at the teacher. The kid from Rye who recently took off goes to school w/my neighbor's nephew. He hates his family and sells drugs at school. They can't control him.

All I know is that if I dared to try any of these stunts as a teen I'd have been severely punished and wouldn't have dared attempt it again. I have my own family and to this day I don't raise my voice to my father!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County