U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 AM

68 posts, read 244,349 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking at a house in Westchester my husband and I really like. The only 'issue' is that it has Lakeland Central Schools. Anyone know why this school district is much less desirable than Yorktown Central or Mahopac Schools?
Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 20,822 times
Much less desirable? Where did you get that from?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM

90 posts, read 428,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1nov View Post
Hi,
I am looking at a house in Westchester my husband and I really like. The only 'issue' is that it has Lakeland Central Schools. Anyone know why this school district is much less desirable than Yorktown Central or Mahopac Schools?
Any advice appreciated.
I've been researching the schools in that area, for a possible move also. I would rank them Yorktown, Mahopac, Lakeland in that order. As for much less desireable, I would in no way call it that. The degree of difference between the 3 seems fairly small maybe 10% between the top and bottom. They are all middle/upper middle class communities so the schools reflect that. Not sure about any overcrowding or facilities issues, maybe that's why you found them as much less desirable?

Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,700,974 times
Walter Panas High School is probably the least desirable of the High Schools in Lakeland...but by no means is it a bad district. Not sure why it would be rumored as such. Panas tends to have a lower income base and hence the issues that go along with that.

The buildings on the campus are dumpy....however it has a fantastic Performing Arts Center. The guidance staff is wonderful and the science department is very good. Granted I graduated in 1989 but I keep in touch with many of the faculty. Aside from really crappy buildings it is not a bad school.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 24,976 times
You need to check your statistics more closely. Within the last year, The Journal News (the local westchester paper) ranked all of the school districts in westchester and Lakeland did narrowly appear higher on the list over Yorktown and Mahopac. I went to Lakeland Highschool in the early 80's and found the education excellent. For some reason, and I've heard this from city co-workers looking to move to Westchester, there is a belief that Yorktown schools are the end all when it comes to education. I'd love to know how this rumor started.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 AM

47 posts, read 257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1nov View Post
Hi,
Any advice appreciated.
From a real estate brokers perspective - I have many clients looking in the Yorktown, Mahopac area and a lot of them will not buy a house in the Lakeland School district, so take that for what it is worth. Also on the selling end, I have some listings in Mahopac with Lakeland schools and those are very hard to sell because of Lakeland. I make no representations here but you can come up with your own conclusions.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,557,909 times
I can't really speak to Lakeland, other than to say that I heavily researched school districts and talked to loads of educators with knowledge of the area and the near-universal opinion was that Lakeland had overcrowding issues and was gerneally not as good as other systems in the area. I have no idea if that is true, but it was the perception.

I was also told by most people that Yorktown Central was excellent, especially in the primary and elementary grades. My son has now been in the school for 2 years and I've been thrilled. Great teachers, great principal, great curriculum, and overall excellent "vibe" and attitude. For what it is worth, I make a living in the education field and know a fair amount about it. But more importantly, I've found that the teachers and administration are very atuned to the fact that all kids are different and have different strengths and weaknesses and they go the extra mile to find an approach that will work for each child.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM

68 posts, read 244,349 times
Thanks for your responses. The funny thing is I went through Lakeland schools myself but it was a long time ago so I didn't know if things had changed. I had heard from realtors many people won't buy in that school district and I didn't understand why Lakeland was considered less desirable either given the statistics, so thats why I was asking.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
To dma1250 - Sept. 2007

The writer says he/she has "talked to loads of educators". The use of the word "loads" in this context represents a basic and primative command of the english language. The statement; "For what it is worth, I make a living in the education field and know a fair amount about it". This is a more accurate reflection of the writer indeed knowing only a "fair" amount..... I have had no formal training in English didactics but have been burdened with the taxs of the Lakeland School district for over 20 years. If this writer attended Lakeland, than it confirms my belief that I've been paying more to this school district than is justified.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,557,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkajean View Post
To dma1250 - Sept. 2007

The writer says he/she has "talked to loads of educators". The use of the word "loads" in this context represents a basic and primative command of the english language. The statement; "For what it is worth, I make a living in the education field and know a fair amount about it". This is a more accurate reflection of the writer indeed knowing only a "fair" amount..... I have had no formal training in English didactics but have been burdened with the taxs of the Lakeland School district for over 20 years. If this writer attended Lakeland, than it confirms my belief that I've been paying more to this school district than is justified.
Jeez, I 'pose I shoulds pays more attention to mine grammar and words and what all when I writes heres. As for Lakeland schools, no I never dids attended--I was the product of private schools, so that just shows yew dont it. Funniest enough I plans and writes the reading language arts programs used in many a schools across the hole countries! oh no The poor childrens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County