Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times

Advertisements

a lot of the people who post here aren't indicative of the people native to the county, but I would agree that there's a good percentage of snobby transplants concerned with name value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,449,225 times
Name value of what? I've come to learn in my 2 years here that the word "snob" is just a random label given to anyone making over $150k by people that make substantially less in this town.

We work hard. What else are we supposed to do with our money that wouldn't invite scorn? It doesnt matter what we actually believe...the fact that we live in a nice neighborhood, drive nice cars, and take decent vacations means that certain people will always label us as such.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM

475 posts, read 851,130 times
Up there your snobs down here we're rednecks, it's all relative. I think the most important thing in life is to be happy. If you love Westchester then that's maybe where you should reside. Personally I like the country, it's peaceful and I find great happiness here in Virginia although I do miss my New York friends very much. If you enjoy what you do for a living and can provide for your family then in this current economy that's a measure of success in itself. Wether you make 50k and drive a Chevy Pick-Up or 150k and drive a Bentley, what really matters is if your happy with yourself. White collar workers will alway look down on blue collar workers as less educated but that's a stigma, just because you work with your hands doesn't mean your dumb. On September 11th 2001 alot of those blue collar workers died trying to save peoples lives, you should never forget that.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM

475 posts, read 851,130 times
By the same token just because you have a good paying job does not always mean you are a snob either. I have a close friend who graduated from Mary Washington and every time her Toyota needs servicing she'll call me up at the shop and say hey Steve will you look at my car? I've been to her house, we've shared a cup of coffee at Starbucks, and became real good friends. She works for a defense contractor up in DC and does well but she'll think nothing of throwing on a pair of shorts and flip flops and go fishing. She's a country girl with an education is what she is so not everybody who has a degree is a snob, I think that stigma is just as unfair as calling a blue collar worker less educated. Education doesn't always mean college, apprenticeships, technical, vocational, as well as academics all play a part in someones career choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County