U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,195 times

Advertisements

I am about to move into a house near Irvington. It has been suggested to me that I would be better off commuting to Grand Central from Tarrytown as it has express trains which will get me there much quicker. This has me slightly stumped, because according to the Metro North schedules, the fastest train into GCS in the morning from Irvington is 40 minutes, and the fastest from Tarrytown is 38 minutes. As Tarrytown is about 3 minutes further away from my house than Irvington, I cannot see what I am gaining (other than that Tarrytown has more frequent trains). I am therefore wondering if the train timetables are masking the reality and in fact the local trains from Irvington generally take much longer than the schedules say? Could anyone familiar with this commute share their experience.

Sorry – I know this is an unbelievably dull question!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,742,793 times
Since you're relatively close to Manhattan, the express trains don't save a whole lot of time, but you still have the advantage of more frequent service, which gives you more options in case you're running late and miss your local train or whatever. I don't take Metro-North too often, but those trains go by the stations pretty quickly, so it might be a couple of extra minutes that you save (instead of just 2 it might be 5 or something), but the main issue is the frequency.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Thank you very much. I guessed that the frequency was probably the main advantage. I appreciate you taking a moment to respond.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 AM

100 posts, read 155,269 times
There's also a chance that the Tarrytown trains will have more seating open, as on an express train stopping at Tarrytown will be the first or second stop, but on a local, Irvington will be 5th. Of course people seek out express trains, so this may balance itself out.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 127,046 times
It's definitely a frequency thing. And some people also like that you can find taxis easily at the Tarrytown station.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM

71 posts, read 126,712 times
You should check where you are eligible to park. I had looked at a house with in the Irvington school district that was actually in Tarrytown, and would have not been eligible for an Irvington permit.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 PM

38 posts, read 69,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm1 View Post
There's also a chance that the Tarrytown trains will have more seating open, as on an express train stopping at Tarrytown will be the first or second stop, but on a local, Irvington will be 5th. Of course people seek out express trains, so this may balance itself out.
There's also a chance that the train will have less seating because Tarrytown's the last stop until 125th Street or GCT. I take a morning train that begins at Ossining and stops at Scarborough and Phillipse Manor before it gets to Tarrytown. By that time, there aren't many seats left and there are always a few standees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County