Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM

814 posts, read 1,146,412 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking of heading to NY for a weekend during high color season and exploring the lower east bank of the Hudson (roughly following the Croton Aqueduct Trail). Given that I would not have sufficient time to see a large extent by actually hiking the trail, it occurred to me that using the MNR might be a relatively cheap and efficient way to do it.

My question is, if I buy a round-trip ticket between Grand Central and, say, Croton-Harmon, does that give me on/off privileges anywhere between those two stops? For example, stopping in Hastings, looking around, getting back on a later train, stopping in Tarrytown, repeating the process, etc. I haven't been able to find an answer after a cursory look at the MTA website, and I know from experience that the conductors just take your ticket on the LIRR after they punch it, so I was wondering whether this kind of use out of a commuter rail ticket is even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM

100 posts, read 427,096 times
Nope, the train is designed for commuters, who only use the train twice a day, so it's not like the subway with an unlimited day pass. You can get an unlimited weekly though. For what it's worth, a lot of the train stations are not really located in areas that are really walkable or interesting. Sometimes they won't get to you to check tickets if you are just going one or two stops, but don't count on it.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM

12 posts, read 26,806 times
They punch your ticket every time you get on (or when the conductor walks thru) like the LIRR, so you're ticket wouldn't be good for another ride, regardless of the location. There is however a fare called an "Intermediate Fare" which is good for travel between two stations outside of Manhattan on the same line and cost $2.75. I believe the price is always the same, regardless of peak/off-peak, so that may be helpful for getting on and off at various points outside NYC.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,793,677 times
Actually all of the Hudson towns are walkable and nice Yonkers and North , same with the New Haven line towns and Harlem line towns. There are some that aren't , but the majority are walkable , and have things to see and do. There are at least 12 Historic Homes that you can tour that are within access of the Hudson line , a Few Trails also can be accessed and state parks.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,563,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
So I was thinking of heading to NY for a weekend during high color season and exploring the lower east bank of the Hudson (roughly following the Croton Aqueduct Trail). Given that I would not have sufficient time to see a large extent by actually hiking the trail, it occurred to me that using the MNR might be a relatively cheap and efficient way to do it.

My question is, if I buy a round-trip ticket between Grand Central and, say, Croton-Harmon, does that give me on/off privileges anywhere between those two stops? For example, stopping in Hastings, looking around, getting back on a later train, stopping in Tarrytown, repeating the process, etc. I haven't been able to find an answer after a cursory look at the MTA website, and I know from experience that the conductors just take your ticket on the LIRR after they punch it, so I was wondering whether this kind of use out of a commuter rail ticket is even possible.
If you're pressed for time, the path between Greystone and Irvington is epic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County