Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,994 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of you!

I am a single mother of 2 young boys looking to move to Westchester county from the Bronx and am also supporting my younger and mentally ill sister. It doesn't' really matter where in Westchester I move to, as long as the schools are good and the location is also close to public transportation (I do not drive). My oldest son (5 years) has been acting up since he started at his new school (terrible place), and I am worried it might get worse. He is not where he should be academically. I want to find a school that will provide him with the best resources and attention he will need to thrive and succeed, as all parents do.

Right now we live in the Bronx, in a terrible school district, but I am 5 minutes away from my job. Since I do not know how to drive (grew up in Manhattan over here!), it is important to me that I can at least walk to the bus/Metro North line. I keep hearing that Bronxville, Scarsdale, and Ardsley all have great public schools, but am not sure how close certain sections will be to the train/buses.

As an RN, I make decent enough money and have already owned (coop) twice. So I would be looking for a 2 BR coop/condo because at this point that is all I can realistically afford.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Many, many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
What can you afford? My spouse's coworker was a single mother with a daughter. They moved to a 1-BR coop in Bronxville where she graduated high school. If you're single, working and don't have the time to take care of a house, Bronxville is a good option because it has lots of coop 1BR and 2BR apartments. Scarsdale also has some coop inventory.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 10-15-2012 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,994 times
Smile Thanks to Forest_Hills_Daddy

Thank you for the quick response!!!

My budget right now is no more than 300k, though 315k is really pushing it.

Bronxville seems like a great option indeed. Seems like it's closer to the Metro, and closer to the NY (Bronx overall).

I work near the Bronx VA hospital, so anything that can get me to that area in about an hour or less is great!

-Jess

Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
The Houlihan Lawrence website would have Bronxville apartment listings. Or if you visit the village, drop by the Ragette real estate office. Just note that the apartment would have to be located in Bronxville Village to be zoned for the Bronxville schools. There are apartments with Bronxville PO but zoned for Yonkers schools. The broker ought to know this but you should bring it up yourself.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM

369 posts, read 633,351 times
There are coops right down the street from the Rye train station, and they fit your budget. Rye also has some of the best schools in the county. I'm not sure if you'd like living in Rye without a car, however, because there is no nearby grocery store. In fact, you'll want to keep that in mind. Westchester is really not built for getting around without a car. You can get in and out of the city just fine. But you can't really get around that well... There are buses, but it doesn't have the same kind of schedule as NYC.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM

35 posts, read 115,662 times
You can get by in White Plains without a car. Plenty of stuff within walking distance if you're near the center.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
I don't think Ardsley is doable w/o a car. Bronxville and Scarsdale are.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,984 times
I don't see how anyone can get by in Westchester without a car. Even if you live walking distance to the train and schools/bus stops, the kids will be invited to playdates and parties and you will undoubtedly want to explore everything this area has to offer - pumpking/apple picking, beaches, river, hiking, skiing/sledding, various farms and nature preserves, etc.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
I don't see how anyone can get by in Westchester without a car. Even if you live walking distance to the train and schools/bus stops, the kids will be invited to playdates and parties and you will undoubtedly want to explore everything this area has to offer - pumpking/apple picking, beaches, river, hiking, skiing/sledding, various farms and nature preserves, etc.

When I lived in Hastings I would term living with a car "possible." Limited but possible.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 PM

51 posts, read 166,627 times
I moved to White Plains this past September from NYC with a 10 year old (ADHD) and we get by with no car whatsoever. I walk to the Metro North every day and there are plenty of taxis / car services when I need to get somewhere. We looked in Bronxville however most of the places we could afford in the 300k/400k were all in the Yonkers school district which in my opinon are ten times worst than NYC..

We looked in Harrison and West Harrison and liked the area but it is a much smaller school distict which does not offer much for services for the kids. So far we are loving the White Plains schools, lots of things for the kids at nights and weekends which I can attend being that I am working all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County