Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,432 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the Hudson Valley area (I hope this is in the right section for it as the areas we're looking at seem to be north of Westchester County.) Both he and I have lived in NYC off and on over the years (I was born there), and we have an immense appreciation for the cultural opportunities the city presents.

However, we're both over living in the city, but still want to provide our child with access to everything we still love about NYC.

So enter Hudson Valley. But I'm not that familiar with the area and would appreciate some guidance. The most important criteria (no surprise) is which school to place our child. However, we're looking for alternative schools - democratic, free schools, Sudbury, maybe Montessori. Or perhaps another place we haven't come across.

As for location, we both work from home so we don't need to be within commuting distance from the city. And we'd be willing to be as far away as four-five hours (on the train, if possible). Our income hovers around $95-$110k, so I wonder how far that will take us in either renting/purchasing a home (maybe an old farmhouse to restore ).

The second important criteria is the community. I went to Omega once for a weekend seminar and really thought Rhinebeck was quite beautiful. So it would be ideal to find a similar town with a focus on citizenry and community.

Lastly, we are a multi-racial, Hispanic family, so a little diversity would be ideal.

So if you were us, where would you call home?

(In return ask me anything you want about Miami or Atlanta.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM

293 posts, read 886,319 times
well, since you gave 4-5 hours by train as a radius, and you work from home why not try Columbia County? I have friends who live in Chatham, NY and love it there. It is quite rural, but they have some very active cultural life going on for the country. Chatham is only 2.5 hours from the city by Taconic, and a number of New Yorkers who work in the arts have weekend homes there which helps bolster that feel. (unfortunately that also raises the home values, but still a better deal than Westchester by far!) Chatham hosts an annual film festival in the fall that's quite amazing. The downtown has some nice shops, restaurants, good community. And you're not far from Albany. If you're really focused on the train, you can look at Hudson, NY, which is on the Amtrak line. (Chatham is about 20 minutes from that station)

BTW, if you're looking to save money, don't think you're going to do it by restoring an old farmhouse. Cheap old farmhouse in need of repair = money pit!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,328 times
At 5 hours outside of NYC, you're talking about a massive area, all the way to Vermont, deep Upstate NY like Rochester and Lake Placid. You have as much access to NYC from 5 hours as a person who lives in Paris. You're posting on the wrong forum, in that case. This forum is 1 hour or under from NYC.

At $100k combined income, you can't afford a house in this area. You should be looking at 2BR apartments.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 AM

107 posts, read 441,455 times
There is a waldorf school in Rockland County. And, I believe that Rockland County matches your other criteria.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

75 posts, read 149,783 times
Since you work at home, Sugarloaf, NY in the Town of Warwick (southwestern Hudson Valley) in Orange County is reported to have an excellent Montesorri School. It is a beautiful area and is unadulterated by strip malls. Although, you only have to drive out of the town to find a Target, Walmrt, BJ's etc. for provisions. This area is only give or take an hour outside the city, has strict zoning laws to protect historic preservation. It also has wonderful farmer's markets. If you need to go into the City, you can drive a short distance to Harriman, NY and take the train. It is a spacious area and not cramped like Rockland or Westchester.

Sugarloaf is an artists's community. But, just five miles away is Warwick (also unadultared) which has some of the best public schools in the Hudson Valley which support the arts (I know you stated a preference to private schools, but I am just giving you options). Giving the housing market you can easily find a house cheaply. And compared to other towns in Orange County, the property taxes are much lower. Not only are the property taxes lower, the crime rate is lower than in Rockland and Wesrchester counties.

The downside, is that Sugarloaf and Warwick are located on top of a mountain. So driving up or down the windy mountain means getting good snow tires.

Just something to think about. I am a former city person who relocated to the Hudson Valley.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM

Warwick is a "middle of nowhere" town that is more like 1.5 hours from NYC.
It is a haul even to get there from NYC suburbs! (over 1 hour)

Do not confuse this area as having anything to do with NYC.
This is straight up remote, desolate, and RURAL living.
It might as well be Buffalo.

I bet many of the residents of these areas may have never set foot in NYC. Or maybe once a decade.
If anyone from there works anywhere near or in NYC, it is more in a doorman or taxi driver capacity.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 AM

You are very wrong about Warwick. And a lot of people who live there moved from the city or work in the city. Many wealthy politicians and judges live in Warwick. Otherwise, it is an odd mix old money, NYPD/FDNY and farmers located in the Pine Island area.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspicaciousE View Post
You are very wrong about Warwick. And a lot of people who live there moved from the city or work in the city. Many wealthy politicians and judges live in Warwick. Otherwise, it is an odd mix old money, NYPD/FDNY and farmers located in the Pine Island area.
Not to mention that Derek Jeter owns a home in Warwick (Tiedemann Castle).

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Thank you Dreamshot. Also Tuxedo Park has an excellent unique private school and you don't have to live in that gated community to attend it.

As far as driving to the City. I have driven from Warwick to the Henry Hudson Parkway in 50 minutes.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Not to mention that Derek Jeter owns a home in Warwick (Tiedemann Castle).
Derek Jeter owning a 4th vacation home in North Dakota doesn't mean you should make that your primary home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County