Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,600,532 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can give me a brief synopsis of which areas in southern Westchester (White Plains and south) were hit by flooding during Sandy and which areas were less hit by flooding and power outages?

What is the situation now? I've been listening to reports about Staten Island and New Jersey but haven't heard to much about Westchester or the Metro Area around Connecticut. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,129 times
The only people that flooded were right on, or very close to the water...like within a quarter mile. There wasn't much rain at all(1 inch or so?) but absolutely crazy wind, which downed power lines and trees street by street, not town by town. We were without power 6 days yet 500 ft away they never lost it.

Irene was totally different as it was less wind and lots of water. If a house is in a 100 year flood plain or less, it probably got some water then.

For Sandy, Staten Island is below sea level which is why it and the Rockaways were decimated along with the Jersey Shore...the storm surge rose the water table up to 12 feet above normal! Outside of those areas, unless you were on the water or had a tree come down on your house, were basically back to normal within 7-14 days.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
The only people that flooded were right on, or very close to the water...like within a quarter mile. There wasn't much rain but crazy wind, which downed power lines and trees street by street, not town by town. We were without power 6 days yet 500 ft away they never lost it.

Staten Island is below sea level which is why it and the Rockaways were decimated along with the Jersey Shore...the storm surge rose the water table up to 12 feet above normal! Outside of those areas, unless you were on the water or had a tree come down on your house, were basically back to normal within 7-14 days.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM

11,244 posts, read 18,728,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
The only people that flooded were right on, or very close to the water...like within a quarter mile. There wasn't much rain at all(1 inch or so?) but absolutely crazy wind, which downed power lines and trees street by street, not town by town. We were without power 6 days yet 500 ft away they never lost it.

Irene was totally different as it was less wind and lots of water. If a house is in a 100 year flood plain or less, it probably got some water then.

For Sandy, Staten Island is below sea level which is why it and the Rockaways were decimated along with the Jersey Shore...the storm surge rose the water table up to 12 feet above normal! Outside of those areas, unless you were on the water or had a tree come down on your house, were basically back to normal within 7-14 days.
No part of the NY Metro area is below sea level (unlike New Orleans, part of what made Katrina such a problem is a significant part of that city and metro area IS below sea level, and most of the rest is <20 ft. above), but much of Staten Island and the Rockaways are less than 10 ft. above sea level and Rockaway as well as much of the Jersey Shore devastation (i.e. Long Beach Island) are on small "barrier islands".

For the most part Westchester and adjacent Fairfield Counties have near 100% recovered. I think the main area right now that still has significant damage is Playland, and there are a few people right on the immediate Sound Shore that did get significant property damage.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
No part of the NY Metro area is below sea level (unlike New Orleans, part of what made Katrina such a problem is a significant part of that city and metro area IS below sea level, and most of the rest is <20 ft. above), but much of Staten Island and the Rockaways are less than 10 ft. above sea level and Rockaway as well as much of the Jersey Shore devastation (i.e. Long Beach Island) are on small "barrier islands".

For the most part Westchester and adjacent Fairfield Counties have near 100% recovered. I think the main area right now that still has significant damage is Playland, and there are a few people right on the immediate Sound Shore that did get significant property damage.
Thanks much for the additional info.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 52,290 times
Irene, was a totally different story for flooding in Westchester
There was lots of it.
I only drive through on Metro North, but could see lots of flooding next to the Harlem line tracks.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdina36315 View Post
Irene, was a totally different story for flooding in Westchester
There was lots of it.
I only drive through on Metro North, but could see lots of flooding next to the Harlem line tracks.
Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County