Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times

Advertisements

Both Larchmont and Mamaroneck have apartments close to the train station (not sure if they are rentals or co-ops or what), and they both are walkable towns. Mamaroneck Ave has about as much going on as any "main street" in a town (not city) in Westchester. I'd look into the apartments to the west of Mamaroneck Ave (e.g. Fenimore, Mt Pleasant) north of Boston Post Road. Larchmont has a bunch of buildings near the station but I'm not as familiar with that area. Mamaroneck has a larger Hispanic presence FWIW. Both would be great for you by the sounds of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM

369 posts, read 633,523 times
Mamaroneck has more rentals than Larchmont. Larchmont has more co-ops, so is good if you want to buy something. They are great small towns, lots of restaurants and stores and the commute to Manhattan is convenient. I commute to Valhalla for school and it is a breeze because you go against rush hour.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM

15 posts, read 52,101 times
These towns sound like great choices. Hoping Mamaroneck & Larchmont do not have such strict *No Pets* rules like Tarrytown & Hastings-On-Hudson do.

So many buildings allow cats but not a small dog under 15 pounds and I find that silly. I had a cat when I was young and it did FAR more damage with it's claws then my trained dog.I even had two people ask if I was willing to give away my dogs to live in their multifamily home or building. Crazy! I guess some people don't understand that pets are like children.

Westchester is a challenge in itself to find buildings/homes that allow dogs. I won't give up!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnotherTourist View Post
Great suggestions!
I am multi racial and look very Spanish with a curvy body type. I also tend to get "grabbed up" (lol) a lot when I walk around certain neighborhoods by men. I am not afraid, I guess I am just getting tired of it and now that I am older and married I prefer to live in an area where I won't be bothered so much by guys (especially hood guys and young guys who think I'm their age). I just seem to fit that type that they like to harass a lot and tend to get followed home often.
If that's the case, you are more than welcome to move to MY neighborhood!

Don't expect men to stop picking you up just because you're in Westchester, though. They just do it differently and probably more subtly.

Try Hastings. Coco Rocha lives there, hopefully peacefully from the advances of men.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM

185 posts, read 422,787 times
As I live in northern Westchester, I will give you my ideas in where to look for rentals. Many small towns on/near the Hudson are very walkable, but not very big. If you are from the outskirts of Philly - no problem, but if you are looking for a more urban feel, you need to look at the suggestions above. I would NOT recommend Mamaroneck as although it is great for the city commute, and it is not too far from Tarrytown, the TRAFFIC on 287 to tarrytown can get REALLY tiresome. It is best to look on the Hudson side up and down. Certain towns have a higher volume of rental opportunities, but I can't say if I would stroll around at night. The problem you will have as a renter is that the quaint towns that will rent to you w/dogs will have MUCH higher rent than you are hoping. The more affordable places will be in less quaint, more mixed neighborhoods - I used to own a 3 family house in an expensive westchester town, walking distance to the train and I can tell you that our apartments were like an old Philly style twin rowhouse(small & old)and we got more rent than that 5 yrs ago, no pets. So I think you are going to have to make some compromises. ANYWAY, look at Ossining - LOTS of rentals, great train commute, great dog park. Try to rent a condo or coop, you might have better luck with pets, or check with a local realtor. Dobbs Ferry, has a lot of little restaurants/shops in town, Train& rentals. I LOVE Irvington(right next to Tarrytown) but walkabe in town might not work out. And the best for last in my opinion - Croton-on Hudson. Excellent train commute, and more of a liberal/quirky town, not as walkable, but places with loyal fans and i think you could get by with one car. good spot for rental to both commutes. Good luck

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM

52 posts, read 160,796 times
I also am a non-driver (born and raised in Brooklyn) and we recently moved to the Larchmont/Mamaroneck area. Its definitely walkable. We are a few blocks from the train station in Larchmont. There are alot of co-op buildings around but some allow the owners to rent. That is what we are doing. My only beef is that the westchester buses run way too infrequently. 30 min between buses even during rush hour so getting around to other parts of westchester is a pain if I want to avoid metro-north.

My co-op has a ton of dogs so that won't be a problem. DM me and I can let you know the name if you are still looking. New Rochelle is more city like but not a fan of the area where the train station is. We have kids so for us the school district was a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County