U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 46,037 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to Westchester but are clueless about the area. Help!

We are a young married couple in our early 30's who have always enjoyed a mix of the City & Small Town life. No plans for kids, we love to go out to eat and mingle and we have 2 small dogs.

My husband is starting a new job in Tarrytown (New York). We have not had much luck finding ANY places in Tarrytown that allow pets (extremely frustrating) and we love the feel of downtown Tarrytown! We drove through White Plains once but were confused where people lived ( that is close enough to walk to the train station). It seemed a bit too busy and a little creepy around the train at night.

Here is our deal.... I don't drive and he does. He enjoys the suburb/village life, I love the city. He drives everywhere, I take public transportation. We are trying to find a town that would fit for both of us. Somewhere I can safely walk everywhere (stores, restaurant, pharmacy, coffee) and get to Manhattan on my own (train/bus), as well as somewhere he can commute to Tarrytown from (no more than 40 min drive).

Any suggestions of safe towns/neighborhoods for us in Westchester?!

Where are you coming from? Philadelphia
Why are you moving? Husbands Job
Where will you be working? I work part time from home and 3 days a week in Manhattan. My husband will be driving to Tarrytown NY every day for work.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $1500-$2000 a month
What kind of place are you looking for? 1 Bedroom Apartment, semi updated/renovated, washer/dryer in unit or building, dishwasher. Parking on street or Lot/Garage Space.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Just us and our 2 small dogs
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc):
Since I do not drive it is important that I live somewhere that is a "walkable" town with local transportation (trains/bus to Manhattan). Something that has a town/village feel with restaurants, shops, coffee...etc all on a main street. We are a young (early 30's) couple without children, we love being around families/singles & artistic/creative types.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) 1) An hour or less commute to NYC by train , 2) Downtown Area & 3) Safe Neighborhood (for me to be walking at night)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

87 posts, read 167,959 times
Hi NotAnotherTourist. I appreciate the dichotomy you describe...you sound a lot like my wife and I before we moved to Westchester (left the city for more space when our daughter was born last year). If you're not yet totally fixed on Westchester, one place you might consider is our old neighborhood in Upper Manhattan (Washington Heights, near Fort Tryon Park and the GWB). From that area you will have subway access to your job and your husband and can easily reverse commute up to Tarrytown. I did this commute before we moved and there is typically zero traffic, although parking on the street in NY cannot compare to the convenience of having a garage in the suburbs.

The rents are going up (I heard our $2100/month 2BR was raised to $2500 after we left), but a large 1BR should be doable in your budget. Lastly, the neighborhood is fantastic for dogs. There is a great community of dog owners and a nice dog park in Fort Tryon park too. It also convenient for quick exit up from the city for hiking trips (certainly this is even more true of Westchester). The restaurant scene is weak by city standards but certainly holds up against Westchester.

Not sure if this your thing, but thought I'd offer the suggestion since it worked out well for us when we were in your situation. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM

9,031 posts, read 14,816,597 times
I see you did cross-post to this forum....

Another place similar to what WardEq is describing is Riverdale in the northwest Bronx.....it's very much like White Plains or Stamford except with easier commuting to Manhattan and still a decent commute for your dh. It's nothing like the "stereotypical Bronx", in fact the Fieldston sub-neighborhood could easily "pass" for a rich suburb like Scarsdale if you didn't know any better where you were.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Great suggestions!

7 Wishes - Yes, thought we would give it a shot it both forums to get an idea. I have heard about Riverdale and would like to look into it again. We drove through it once at night and could not really get a feel of the area. It was very quiet and nobody was around. We also noticed the train was very removed from where everyone lived. How do people get to the city from Riverdale? Is Riverdale a walkable city if I don't drive?

WardEQ - We are not totally fixed on anywhere as of now. I am trying to learn more about all of our options in Westchester, CT & Upper Manhattan (even considering Astoria, I use to live there in my 20's). Just trying to find somewhere that will work for both of us and that my husband can easily drive to Tarrytown everyday. We have considered Washington Heights, we only drove through once but I am not sure if we drove through the part you are describing. My ONLY issues with area's like Washington Heights is two things.... and I am just being honest.

1) Parking - We own a GMC Denali SUV and I feel it would be extremely hard to park on the street in the city (or am I wrong?). Plus my husband tends to work till 8pm on some nights and the last thing he wants to do is circle for an hour trying to find space for our SUV.

2) Safety for myself - Ok, let me explain. I was born and raised in a suburb in Chicago but in my 20's I moved on my own to NYC and I lived in all types of neighborhoods Bushwick, Williamsburg, Astoria, Forest Hills, Ridgewood NY. I have had different experiences in all of the "hoods" I have lived in. I am multi racial and look very Spanish with a curvy body type. I also tend to get "grabbed up" (lol) a lot when I walk around certain neighborhoods by men. I am not afraid, I guess I am just getting tired of it and now that I am older and married I prefer to live in an area where I won't be bothered so much by guys (especially hood guys and young guys who think I'm their age). I just seem to fit that type that they like to harass a lot and tend to get followed home often. Something my husband isn't crazy about. I hope you understand what I am trying to say without sounding like a stuck up suburb snob (because I'm honestly not at all).

Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,168,803 times
Try looking at Mamaroneck. Some diversity (about 25% non-white), easy direct city commute, walkable main st. with lots of stores, cinema, ice rink, park on the water with a marina, a number of different ethnic resturants, block parties, fireworks and fireman's parade, halloween parade, lots of families and playgrounds. The car-commute to Tarrytown would be fine.

What does "grabbed up" mean? Do you mean assaulted?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Bg7 - Mamaroneck sounds nice! I have never heard of that city. Will make a point to check it out as well this weekend.

Haha.."grabbed up" is slang I learned while living in Bushwick, Brooklyn. It means being hit on or harassed. It some ways it can be considered a type of assault when you have men physically touching you for attention (grabbing your arm). I never experienced that in Chicago but when I moved to some neighborhoods in NYC I would have men cat calling me and then proceeding to come up to me and grab my arm, or pull on my jacket/shirt for attention when I am ignoring them. I make sure to show them attitude so they know right away that it is NOT ok to touch me for any reason and I'm not some hoochie from the hood. lol

Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,168,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnotherTourist View Post
Bg7 - Mamaroneck sounds nice! I have never heard of that city. Will make a point to check it out as well this weekend.

Haha.."grabbed up" is slang I learned while living in Bushwick, Brooklyn. It means being hit on or harassed. It some ways it can be considered a type of assault when you have men physically touching you for attention (grabbing your arm). I never experienced that in Chicago but when I moved to some neighborhoods in NYC I would have men cat calling me and then proceeding to come up to me and grab my arm, or pull on my jacket/shirt for attention when I am ignoring them. I make sure to show them attitude so they know right away that it is NOT ok to touch me for any reason and I'm not some hoochie from the hood. lol
The word grabbed in my mind necessarily means physical contact by hand, glad to hear it was not.
BTW Mamaroneck is only a town, it does not come withinn a light year of being a city. New Rochelle, just down the way, is more urban and city-like.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Bg7 - Well they are physically grabbing me by the arm, but no thankfully no one has sexually assaulted me.

Mamaroneck does sound like it has what we are looking for though, we don't need to live in a big city but a town that has things to walk to.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 PM

9,031 posts, read 14,816,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnotherTourist View Post
Great suggestions!

7 Wishes - Yes, thought we would give it a shot it both forums to get an idea. I have heard about Riverdale and would like to look into it again. We drove through it once at night and could not really get a feel of the area. It was very quiet and nobody was around. We also noticed the train was very removed from where everyone lived. How do people get to the city from Riverdale? Is Riverdale a walkable city if I don't drive?
There are Hudson Line Metro North stations in Riverdale (the Riverdale station in the northern part of the area, the Marble Hill station in the southern part.....though the southern part of Riverdale in kind of sketchy in parts). There's also the 1 train at 242nd Street by Van Cortlandt Park. It's definitely a walkable area.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM

87 posts, read 167,959 times
RE safety, my wife works in the Bronx and has similar experiences around her work. Not actually being grabbed...I would NOT be okay with that...but certainly a lot of behavior by men there that seems highly inappropriate to her but is commonplace and pretty much accepted in those neighborhoods.

Fortunately, this was not an issue where we lived. You could certainly take the dogs out before bed or run to the store without fear of any incident. If you still are interested, I'd suggest to look above 181st and W of Broadway. Having said that, if avoiding this type of thing is a priority I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Wash Heights for you. You are going to come across it eventually.

RE parking, it is not impossible (even an SUV), but a big pain and some people have higher thresholds for it than others. You could get a spot in a garage but that might blow your budget and adds a little time to your morning commute unless you live right next to the garage.

I don't know Mamaroneck too well, but sounds like it could work. Nyack is a really nice town, but might be pushing it for your NYC commute I think. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether either place has more pet-friendly rentals than Tarrytown does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or