Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM

71 posts, read 143,963 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used angie's list for Westchester? Is it decent and informative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM

269 posts, read 480,522 times
I joined a couple of months ago, I forget at this point what I was looking for. Anyway, I found it pretty useless as I go no recommendations for this area.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM

67 posts, read 188,030 times
I found an awesome plumber on Angie's list, but other than that I don't find it very useful and plan to cancel my membership.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
I use it all of the time. For me, the Big Deals alone more than pay for the membership. They always have deals online for membership.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I use The Franklin Report and referrals because I know people who have had issues with the providers that they found on Angie's List. That can happen anywhere, but when paying for a service, I would expect a better result than something akin to pulling a name from the Yellow Pages.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
It's more than the Yellow Pages...it has a bunch of member reviews, good and bad. I've not had a bad experience with any of them that were rated A. You can also comb through the reviews to get a sense of what stuff costs, which helps to not get taken advantage of.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM

114 posts, read 571,480 times
I've used them for a couple of years now. One nice feature within the reviews is that along with the customers outlining their reviews and what work they had done, they also state how much they paid (not always). That alone helps me to get an idea on how much I may need to budget for instead of having them come out, give me an estimate and realize it's beyond my budget and I wasted both of our time.

Of course you can't take the amount of what people paid and apply it to your situation, but if you're about to have something done, say replace your gutters and you've never had to do it before, and you have no idea if it's measured in the hundreds or thousands, it helps.

I've hired contractors that were on Angie's List, and often they offer discounts for mentioning that you found them on AL. And, I've also hired contractors that weren't on the list... it's a good reference tool.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM

19 posts, read 80,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
I've used them for a couple of years now. One nice feature within the reviews is that along with the customers outlining their reviews and what work they had done, they also state how much they paid (not always). That alone helps me to get an idea on how much I may need to budget for instead of having them come out, give me an estimate and realize it's beyond my budget and I wasted both of our time.

Of course you can't take the amount of what people paid and apply it to your situation, but if you're about to have something done, say replace your gutters and you've never had to do it before, and you have no idea if it's measured in the hundreds or thousands, it helps.

I've hired contractors that were on Angie's List, and often they offer discounts for mentioning that you found them on AL. And, I've also hired contractors that weren't on the list... it's a good reference tool.
Agree with Radio Guy. If you use the information wisely, it can help you find good contractors. So far this year, we had our kitchen redone, installed new floors, relined our chimney and converted from oil to gas. The contractors we found on angies list were excellent. It also is great to see what other people paid for similar work to help you compare.

So far, so good.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
I like Angie's List. We found a company to replace our roof and were very pleased with the job they did.

The main problem with Angie's List is that it is a "membership service that compiles consumer ratings of local service companies and contractors in multiple cities across the United States" and members don't always put in their ratings, plus there are many contractors in this area.

We had excellent word of mouth about the contractor putting in our new bathroom and we are very pleased with him so far, but despite being in business for thirty years there isn't one mention of him on Angie's List. I plan on changing that, but if I'd based all my decisions on it, I would have missed out on a great contractor.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Default Angie's list

Just a waste of money! I know of some great contractors who were never rated on her list while others that were not the kind of contractor that you would be happy with and they appeared as a recommended contractor.
Better off doing your own research, word of mouth, suppliers who deal with the contractor, inspectors,etc.

Nothing works better than doing your own research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County