Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 47,941 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear all about Pelham, as I'm considering moving my family there from Cortlandt Manor. My daily commute into Manhattan takes 1.5 hours each way and I'm looking to cut it in half. Ideally I'd love to find a house near the station so I could walk to the train. I have two children aged 4 and 7 and am concerned about the quality of the schools here and I'd like to get the scoop on the school system down there. Is it really a "pedestrian friendly" town as I've read? What kind of parks are available? Local pools for the summer? Recreation programs? Crime? Do people lock their doors at night? Etc.

If anyone feels like giving me the 411 I'd be eternally grateful!
Thanks in advance,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 07:26 AM

201 posts, read 727,235 times
Default I'd also love to hear about Pelham

We moved to Fairfield - out a bit in Greenfield Hill, but I'm looking to move again (we're too isolated) and didn't even know about Pelham until I saw your post and I use the Houiham Lawrence Real Estate web site and Pelham houses look very nice. I met a woman at the West Chester Airport and she's lived in Rye area for 6 years from CA and didn't like it. She said the people were very hard to meet and not very friendly. She is estatic to move back to CA. Her biggest complain is that the houses were too far spread out and there is not a community feel. I've heard the village of Larchmont is very friendly. I'd love to hear about Pelham.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 154,197 times
Actually, we used to live on Pelham. It is very walkable, and the schools are topnotch! The commute to Grand Central is 28 mins. It definitely has a neighborhood feel, and we had wonderful experiences with the people. We actually had to pinch ourselves to make sure we were in New York. Hope this helps

Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Thanks Octogirl!

...that was what I was hoping to hear about Pelham! Anyone else care to pop in and share their 2 cents on the town?
thanks,
amanda

Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 76,208 times
Many well-known journalists and writers live in Pelham. I think you would find it more sophisticated than Cortland Manor because people tend to maintain close ties to NYC. What I have heard from people there is that they appreciate the fact that it's a breeze for them to pop into Manhattan for a short outing.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:25 PM

150 posts, read 799,088 times
A good friend of mine has lived in Pelham Manor for twenty years and I've visited her quite often before we moved away from NY. It's a great little town, beautiful houses, easy commute into NYC and fab schools. Major taxes of course, but many restaurants and good overall quality of life. One thing to be aware of is an increasing crime rate due to proximity to the major highways. My brother was a cop in the area and said Pelham was so easy for the bad guys to get to - hop on the parkway for that quick getaway - just fyi.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks ExNYC and ArtsFan! Any info from someone who lives there right now?
I know the taxes are high, but they seem no higher or maybe even less than in surrounding towns.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:18 PM

10 posts, read 94,249 times
Question Heading to that area

Amanda

Do you mind me asking in what area you work? I'm going to be working near Penn Station, and I'm concerned about spending too much time commuting. I had been considering upper Westchester Co, but you're comment about 1.5 hours each way is definitely making me reconsider.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Hey Amanda73--I replied to you over on the Peekskill thread you started, but I work in Noho (Bleecker St. stop on Lexington line).

Any town north of Tarrytown is going to put you past an hour commute each way, easily!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 AM

10 posts, read 94,249 times
Thanks for the response, that's really helpful. (I totally identify with calculating your commute with time for Starbucks!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County