U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,374,049 times

Advertisements

What makes life in Westchester vs life in NNJ different? Why would someone choose to live in NNJ over Westchester, or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,555,987 times
Westchester - easier commute to Grand Central.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM

796 posts, read 1,374,049 times
But according to this graphic:

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

It looks as if there are quite a few NJ suburbs with a reasonable commute to Grand Central

Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM

10,833 posts, read 26,449,732 times
NJ trains go to Penn, which is fine if one works on the Westside, but a pain if you need Midtown East. Grand Central is more convenient for both areas of Midtown, given the S, which connects to Times Square, and the various passageways where one can walk several blocks to exit the station complex at various points in Midtown.

NNJ has some great areas, but aside from the particular village/town, it can be very congested. Route 4 in Paramus comes to mind, and I find it to be worse congestion than one would find in a comparable Westchester area, say Central Avenue to White Plains for the same shops/mall stores as one would find in Paramus.

Some immediately adjacent NNJ areas on the Palisades, do, however, excel with views of Manhattan or the bridge, but with fewer connections to Manhattan via car, which can create a problem when there's an issue with one crossing. I've never had to sit for up to an hour just to get to a toll plaza to then cross the river when driving from Westchester, but have had long waits at the Holland and GWB at various times, even with EZ Pass.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM

395 posts, read 1,390,360 times
There are some great towns in Bergen County - Ridgewood, Ho Ho Kus, Glen Ridge, etc. Generally they are more manicured/suburban than most parts of Westchester. In terms of the commute, for some of my colleagues commuting to midtown/Rock Center the past 2 months have been a nightmare with the Path trains out of Hoboken Terminal out of commission. They either had to take a bus (direct to Port Authority but obviously at the mercy of road conditions so it could be up to a 2 hr+ trip) or transfer through Secaucus which became overloaded with backups and delays.

Even on the best days you have to transfer somewhere in order to get to NYC, so Metro North is preferable.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,185,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
But according to this graphic:

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

It looks as if there are quite a few NJ suburbs with a reasonable commute to Grand Central

No railroad trains from New Jersey go to Grand Central.
The ones that come into Manhattan go to Penn - and just ask any Penn commuter what they think about the tunnels under the Hudson!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 PM

432 posts, read 964,667 times
It's all the same. Flip a coin.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,262,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
It's all the same. Flip a coin.
Except for your kids' accent. That's something to think about.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 PM

402 posts, read 674,573 times
Something to think about Bergen is that everything is closed on Sunday like it is the 1800's... WTF, I thought church and state are supposed to be seperate. Not only does that mean you can't shop on Sunday, but if you choose to shop on Saturday the stores are a complete mad house.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM

792 posts, read 2,050,121 times
I've lived in both for long periods of time. I prefer Northern Westchester over Bergen County; but prefer Bergen County over Southern Westchester. I think Northern Westchester is really beautiful, whereas there are some really ugly parts of Bergen County (Ft. Lee, Cliffside Park). Southern Westchester is so congested and considering how congested it is, lacks good shopping IMO, so I'd prefer Bergen County over it. Just my opinion. NJ also has horrible transportation into Manhattan--going into the Port Authority. It's really nauseating to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County