U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 16,812 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your advice.

I'm close to taking a job close to Grand Central, and am searching for a house somewhere on the Metro North. My wife and I have two toddlers, 3 and 1.

For the most part, research is going well...I feel like I understand what I can expect in Pelham or Rye Brook or Mamaroneck.

We want a place that has good schools and is safe. Down-to-earth is good, and a reasonably cool/walkable town center would also be nice (I mean, eventually we'll get a babysitter and want dinner someplace close to home)

Which leads me to Port Chester and Byram. They seem reasonably similar (and I guess they should be, being so close together...) Taxes are lower in CT, got that. House prices are lower in Port Chester.

The school question is what's confusing me. I've heard bad things about Port Chester's schools and good things about Greenwich's. But when I drill down to the individual schools...it seems like Port Chester's are pretty good and in most cases... better than the Byram-zoned-schools.

For example-- The King Street school in Port Chester gets an 8 on Great Schools...and all the comments I can find are positive. Conversely, the New Lebanon school in Byram only gets a 5 and most of the comments are fairly negative.

So, any thoughts on either town...especially on the "safety and schools" part would be great. I don't want to miss something...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,749,708 times
If you end up in Byram, you'll need to get dropped off at the station. You can't park in town lots in Port Chester, which means you can backtrack and use the Greenwich one but there is a long wait there from what I understand. Both schools will have sizeable ESL populations, which tend to drive scores down anywhere so take the scores with a grain of salt.

If you are planning on going all the way through HS, you'll need to understand that anything down to earth about Byram is going to go by the wayside by high school when you will be lumped together in one huge high school. The CT forum will have more to say about Byram schools, but here Port Chester is not usually considered good by Westchester standards so if you are making a decision solely based on schools there are certainly stronger school districts but they all come at a much higher cost.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,301,479 times
The topic of Byram schools just came up in the CT forum. What you have to realize about Greenwich is that not everyone there is well off. It has its minority and blue collar sections. That section is basically Byram.

Byram schools under perform. The two schools, New Lebanon and Highland Ave. are both magnet schools but they primarily draw from their local neighborhoods. The schools are well over 50-60% minority, well over 50% of the students are on free or reduced lunch fares. It's thus less of an ethnic thing and more socio-economic.

Eventually all students will funnel into Greenwich High School, but how well prepared some will be is in question.

This link should get you to the CT forum posts

Greenwich Elementary Schools

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM

402 posts, read 673,423 times
good god, free lunches in greenwich? when does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County