U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,106,902 times
Question What does "Union Free" School District mean?

Hi there!

I am a NE OH resident; have lived here 35+ years; barring a several year stay in S. CA. I am looking into a town called Tuckahoe (NY). I looked at the school website; it says: "Tuckahoe Union Free School District" - what does this mean?

Also, are most of the jobs located in NYC via a commute rather than Tuckahoe itself?

We are in our mid 40's, have a larger family. What are the job opportunities for teaching? We have a 23 year-old son that will be graduating college next year; high school science (biology/chemistry) is his major.

Any information about lifestyle, cost of housing, etc., is very much appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,342,435 times
I'm not sure what Union Free means, but it has nothing do with unions. The Tuckahoe School District, like every school district in Westchester County has a union. The term is probably an anachronism from the 19th century; it has no relevance today.

Tuckahoe is a small village that is only a 30-minute train ride to Manhattan's Grand Central Station. It's a nice and quiet community. It has no snob appeal. If you want to impress people with your address, look elsewhere. But there is no shame to living in Tuckahoe. The school district is mostly made up of lower-middle-class to upper-middle-class families. I'm guessing it is 15% minority.

To totally confuse you, some Tuckahoe residents attend the adjacent Eastchester School District, and some Eastchester residents attend the Tuckahoe School District. The Eastchester School District graduates just over 200 kids each year, while Tuckahoe graduates under 100. Both districts send their top graduates to the top universities.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,610,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I looked at the school website; it says: "Tuckahoe Union Free School District" - what does this mean?
A union free school district is a district resulting from a "union" of multiple common school districts, "free" from the restrictions that previously barred them from operating high schools. Union free school districts are governed by a board of education composed of between three and nine members.

For more about the different type of school districts, please go here:

NYS school districts

For an explanation of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zones, please go here:

NYS Geographic Glossary

Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,106,902 times
Dear Rubygreta and Walter: Wow!!! Thank you MOST kindly for your very helpful posts and the links provided. I am going through the links right now. Thank you again.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 47,227 times
Smile Westchester School Question

I would like to know the answer to the above question also. Being a Yonkers New Rochelle and Westchester resident all my life. Is it a positive for students that the district isnt unionized? I wonder.

Dynell York, tsa
American Beauty School
1380 Metropolitan Avenue
Bronx Yonkers New Rochelle Westchester New York
http://www.americanbeautyschool.com/eng_region.html (broken link)

Quote:
Hi there!

I am a NE OH resident; have lived here 35+ years; barring a several year stay in S. CA. I am looking into a town called Tuckahoe (NY). I looked at the school website; it says: "Tuckahoe Union Free School District" - what does this mean?

Also, are most of the jobs located in NYC via a commute rather than Tuckahoe itself?

We are in our mid 40's, have a larger family. What are the job opportunities for teaching? We have a 23 year-old son that will be graduating college next year; high school science (biology/chemistry) is his major.

Any information about lifestyle, cost of housing, etc., is very much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 47,227 times
Smile Westchester School Question

I would like to know the answer to the above question also. Being a Yonkers New Rochelle and Westchester resident all my life. Is it a positive for students that the district isnt unionized? I wonder.

I would love to hear from a non union teacher. How are the benefits?

Dynell York, tsa
American Beauty School
1380 Metropolitan Avenue
Bronx Yonkers New Rochelle Westchester New York
www.americanbeautyschool.com/eng_region.html (http://www.americanbeautyschool.com/eng_region.html - broken link)

Quote:
Hi there!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County