Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM

33 posts, read 228,794 times

Advertisements

Hello there! I am about to relocate to New Rochelle, NY from Salt Lake City, UT in about 2 weeks. I have an apartment in the Avalon on the Sound East located in downtown New Rochelle.

My question is, is there anything to do in Westchester County, or am I always going to be going to New York City?

A little backgound on myself: I'm a 23 year old gay male. I love to go out once and a while, grab a beer after work, meet new people, discover new restaurants, and visit coffee shops and bookstores. Am I going to find that in Westchester, or is my best bet to always be on the train to NYC?

Also is there ANY kind of gay scene in Westchester County? Also what is the attitude like in the area? Open and accepting? Or conservative and close minded?

Last edited by tantan220; 10-18-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,894 times
It is killing me that no one has replied to this! I don't have much to say, but I couldn't just leave you hanging there. I don't know New Rochelle well, but I do believe that there is some nightlife there and in White Plains. But you'll probably want to go into the city a lot.

In my experience, people are extremely open--and at worst indifferent--about sexual orientation. We have a few gay neighbors and they are simply part of the community.

As for a gay social scene, I got curious and did a google search. There is a gay bar in New Rochelle and here's a link to a gay and lesbian center in white Plains: Welcome to The LOFT* - The Lesbian & Gay Community Services Center

Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 228,794 times
Thanks for your help! I was surprised by the lack of response as well. If anyone else has any more information, that would be great!!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 96,300 times
Default I know

Not much there, its great in NYC but who does not know that. Anyway I posted an ad here maybe it will interest you............

Skiing & Snowboarding in the Catskill Mountains, under 2 hours from New York City
This winter. Share a small 2 bedroom Cottage or use the complete house when it’s empty. The house is in the town of Windham. Maybe car pool to save gas……………

If your easy going, open minded and love recreation then this is for you

Give us your ideas on how to use the house in the most effective and fun way Snow Board Windham

Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,779 times
I would imagine that you will find Westchester much more accepting than Utah. It is a very liberal area. In terms of nightlife, there is way more in NYC but Westchester has some nice eateries and bars. Young people tend to hang out in White Plains. You won't be totally bored but for real excitement head to the city.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,673 times
I have a few gay male friends and they head straight down into NYC. There is not much of a gay nightlife up in Westchester County.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 42,740 times
Default not too gay

I 'm gay and have lived in New Rochelle, city island and larchmont my whole life....I know several other gay guys around here too....I've always felt comfortable living with my partner in these basically suburban neighborhoods....but I wouldn't say there's a "gay scene" anywhere near here....for that you'd have to head to manhattan....you'll find a gay section at the beach (far east end of Orchard Beach) and lots of "gay freindly" restaurants and bars around (my favorites are "down by the bay" in Mamaroneck and Lobster Box in city island....there is a gay night at a club in downtown New Rochelle.... but I've never tried it....as for meeting guys for a date now and then; they're there, but you have to have good "gaydar"...or head to the more obvious spots in Chelsea and Greenwich Village.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,447 times
Err. Westchester isn't really all that gay.

I'd say go to Rockland. It's gay paradise.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 AM

7 posts, read 96,300 times
Default We have a one bedroom open in Windham

WE ride in Windham and wish to have someone use our spare room. Gay only ...........

Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 42,590 times
Default Reseaching Opening Gay Bar/Lounge in White Plains

I'm just looking to get a response from everybody that would enjoy seeing a brand new all gay straight friendly gay bar/lounge/club to open in downtown White Plains. Tell me your thoughts and what you would like to see. I appreciate all responses. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County