Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 52,355 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at houses in Pleasantville and Croton on Hudson for some time and just can't seem to find what we're looking for. I've noticed that lower Cortlandt Manor has such pretty neighborhoods, newer houses, and much more affordable prices. Can anyone elaborate on what the town is like? Aside from it being further from manhattan, what are the factors that make real estate so much cheaper there?

We're a young family who's living in brooklyn and we're looking to move to an equally kid-friendly and open-minded area. cortlandt manor seems ideal. So I'm just curious if I'm missing something?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM

222 posts, read 540,511 times
It's cheaper because of indian point, the extra commute, and the schools.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,010 times
Cortlandt Manor is kind of like a suburb to Croton, as it doesn't have its own town center. Other than the library and small shopping center, there isn't a real core. (As opposed to Montrose and Buchanan, which have a distinct center and identity). Most of the friends I know who live there use Croton and Yorktown Heights as their base, as well as Peekskill. (Croton is of course in Cortlandt, and Croton residents get to use the Cortlandt amenities like the pool). From much of Cortlandt Manor you'll be closer to or equidistant from the Croton-Harmon station as to the Cortlandt station. The Hendrick Hudson schools are generally well-regarded, though they tend to rank lower than others in the area on some ratings. (Other parts of Cortalndt are in the Lakeleand district.) Like most of the area, Cortlandt Manor is very diverse socio-economically and you'll find plenty of recent city refugees as well as plenty of long-time residents.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

19 posts, read 80,234 times
HouseHunter:
Here is a spreadsheet I did last year on Croton vs. Cortlandt. It covers commute and schools, and even has info on water. I spent a lot of time and research on this. Sorry it did not come out as neatly as it did on my spreadsheet. But you get the idea.

DISTRICT OVERVIEWS

Hendrick Hudson Croton-on-Hudson
Great School Rating 7 8
Number of Schools 5 3
College Bound 90% 91%
Expenditure Per Student $20,214 $16,386
Instructional Computers 250-499 50-99
Community Ed. Climate High Above Average
Technology Measure Medium High
Advanced Placement Yes Yes
After School Programs Yes No
Coalition of Essential Sch. Yes Yes
Gifted and Talented Yes No
Avg SAT Scores 2011 1608 1663
Avg SAT Scores 2012 1598 1721
Special Ed Program High Below Average
Median Household Income $93,844 $83,349

The second requirement was a do-able commute. The southern part of Cortlandt in the Furnace Woods Area offers a less-than-ten-minute drive to the Croton station, or a five minute drive to the Cortlandt Station, which has just been redone to include more parking, etc. Note the difference in parking costs.

COMMUTE

Cortlandt Manor Station Croton-on-Hudson
Time (7am PEAK travel) 51, 53, 55, 56, 57, or 58min 72, 47, 46, 73, 48, 65, 52m
# of trains per hour 7-8am 3 9
Time (5pm PEAK travel) 50 or 51 minutes 42(x2), 51, 58, 53, 57
# of trains per hour 5-6pm 3 8
Three-month permit $102 $264(non res) $156 (res)
Yearly permit $368 $1056 (non res) $624(res)
Permits Available Waiting List
Station ownership MTA Village of Croton

The other requirement to consider was the taxes. Cortlandt Manor has lower taxes than Croton. The city of Cortlandt has lower taxes in general because it has the power plant and more businesses within such as two hospitals and retail operations on Route 6. Recreation privileges are the same since Croton is a village within the city of Cortlandt. Parklands are shared, and there is a large town pool on Furnace Dock Road, as well as a brand new youth center with a HUGE climbing wall. Lastly many more homes in Cortlandt are on municipal water, which saves the costs of maintaining a well, but adds costs in water bills. The water in Cortlandt is from the Northwestern Westchester Water Venture, which is known for its effective and efficient filtration system.

In addition, Cortlandt Manor has many, many homes within its village that have more than half an acre. And most of these homes have taxes of less than 20K. The STAR exemption seems to be $1500 to $1900.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,073 times
Just curious...how did you decipher the special Ed rankings?

I found nothing but very subjective opinions when I looked. It would be nice to point people to something more substantive if I'm asked in the future.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Thanks! When people say 'because of indian point' what does that mean? I know it could be dangerous if there were to be an accident there, but other than that, does the power plant affect the area?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
/\/\

It probably has nothing to do with IP being nuclear. What you need to check are:

1) General air quality of communities along the Hudson and how this compares with other communities inland.

2) Residents typically do not want to buy near industrial facilities (whether nuclear or not) because of waste disposal issues and inadvertent pollutants. Fewer people want to live near potential superfund sites.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Got it. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM

148 posts, read 531,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter23 View Post
Thanks! When people say 'because of indian point' what does that mean? I know it could be dangerous if there were to be an accident there, but other than that, does the power plant affect the area?
Indian Point is not the reason for the lower taxes. If there is a nuclear accident just more than Cortlandt Manor will suffer...you can bet on that!

Cortlandt Manor's median housing, salaries, standard of living are lower, along with, standard to low-end big box shopping (WalMart, Big Lots, Shop Rite, Marshalls, Modells, Old Navy..etc. I think Croton's style of living overall is better for the buck, but that's my opinion after living on Cortlandt Manor for 10 years.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,718 times
Hi Folks,

Wondering what an updated version of the above assessment looks like on Croton vs. Cortlandt in terms of schools, esp. for accelerated learner and one with special needs who works hard?

Also, town life? Is it just Croton that's walkable?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County