U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,866,570 times

Advertisements

I just saw this article on MSN Money about states with the highest and lowest tax rates: States with the highest and lowest taxes- MSN Money

While talking about New York, they mention that the median property tax rate of $8404/yr in 2008 in Westchester was the highest of any county in the United States. My parents were paying around $7600/yr way back in 1995 in Rye Brook for an average sized 4 BR home. Now, of course, many average sized homes here have property tax bills of $10K or more per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:38 PM

8,117 posts, read 9,561,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I just saw this article on MSN Money about states with the highest and lowest tax rates: States with the highest and lowest taxes- MSN Money

While talking about New York, they mention that the median property tax rate of $8404/yr in 2008 in Westchester was the highest of any county in the United States. My parents were paying around $7600/yr way back in 1995 in Rye Brook for an average sized 4 BR home. Now, of course, many average sized homes here have property tax bills of $10K or more per year.
You just realised this? My parents fled to Rockland in the 50's because of the COL in Westchester.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,866,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You just realised this? My parents fled to Rockland in the 50's because of the COL in Westchester.
Of course I've known for a long time that Westchester is an expensive place to live; I was surprised, however, to learn that the property taxes were (at least in 2008) the highest of any place in the country. i don't know anyone who lives there, but Rockland doesn't strike me as being all that much cheaper than Westchester in terms of cost of living.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,748,190 times
Quote:

$8404? Where do I sign?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM

8,117 posts, read 9,561,313 times
Quote:
Of course I've known for a long time that Westchester is an expensive place to live; I was surprised, however, to learn that the property taxes were (at least in 2008) the highest of any place in the country. i don't know anyone who lives there, but Rockland doesn't strike me as being all that much cheaper than Westchester in terms of cost of living.
Living away from NY I was horrified when I found out what my mom was paying in 2008 and for what? Luckily she is out of there finally..

Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,748,641 times
Yes, what I would give for $8400 in taxes! NY is just insane in general. Between our property taxes and just state income taxes alone, we pay almost 20% of our income. Add to that we get hit with the AMT since our deductions are so high that the Feds think we surely must be tax cheats.

3 years has been enough for us. Before the cost of living is even factored in, we pay 50% of our income in taxes living here once the Feds get a cut.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM

287 posts, read 506,804 times
I grew up in Westchester County. My family was middle-income and I had a great childhood here. Sadly, If I ever want to buy a house, it could never be in Westchester. Westchester has always had expensive areas, but it use to be that you could go to the central and northern part of the county to find affordable homes. Now, Weschester has been outpriced, so has fairfield county, Connecticut. Not much you can do. Perhaps I will make a move upstate to greener (and more affordable) pasteurs.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM

148 posts, read 455,300 times
[quote=Now, of course, many average sized homes here have property tax bills of $10K or more per year. [/QUOTE]

10K+ ...you can say that again...and one more time! ,,and maybe change that common denominator to 13K instead of 10K! Now there's your Westchester...deep in the west side of your savings chest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or