Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 49,303 times

Advertisements

Hello,

OK we we have 1 child that is 2 years old and have just found out that we're having TWINS! We can no longer afford living in Hoboken and having to send all 3 kids through private school so, we're considering moving to Westchester County and could really use your help on towns to live where they have GREAT public elementary schools. We're also looking for a great preK Montesorri school too.
My husband would like to be close to a train line as he works in the city and I would like to live in a town where I don't feel too isolated where there's a good community of people and activities as well as some sort of downtown shopping area? If I can't have everything listed here then I would say that my #1 choices would be the good public elementary schools and being close to the train line.

Thanks for any suggestions. If you have names of specific schools it would be super helpful as I know there's always waiting lists for the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 10:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
General price range?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 AM

22 posts, read 330,035 times
we're also moving from the hoboken area. so far i have found that we really like larchmont, eastchester, and scarsdale- both have nice walking town and great schools.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 AM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
I agree, I think we need to know your budget and price range before we can suggest anything. If you're moving from Hoboken because it's too expensive, I'm not sure there's much in Westchester that would be affordable--unless you go quite far north. Maybe Croton-on-Hudson?
Also, are you thinking of public elementary schools or private? You mentioned a waiting list, which makes me think private? There wouldn't be a waiting list for public schools.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
It doesn't really matter for Westchester with the price range I guess. Everything is expensive, there are only degrees of how expensive it will be.

There are towns with good public schools like Pelham and Eastchester where you can find houses for $600k.

However if you're looking into moving to a town with excellent schools like Bronxville or Scarsdale expect to pay more. The cheapest house you will find in Scarsdale will probably be around $700k. Bronxville is even more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
I agree, I think we need to know your budget and price range before we can suggest anything. If you're moving from Hoboken because it's too expensive, I'm not sure there's much in Westchester that would be affordable--unless you go quite far north. Maybe Croton-on-Hudson?
Also, are you thinking of public elementary schools or private? You mentioned a waiting list, which makes me think private? There wouldn't be a waiting list for public schools.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Chappaqua, Katonah, Bedford and Bedford Hills all have great schools. But very pricey real estate.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Well coming from Hoboken, we are looking to buy a 4 bedroom for just a little over 1M. We really like Scarsdale because of the schools but have heard that the people in the town are 'snobby'. I'm not sure if this is true but I would like to find a friendly town to raise our family so that our children learn to be nice to everyone.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Does anyone know if there is usually a waitlist for preschool private schools in the Westchester area near Scarsdale, Yonkers, New Rochelle, etc??? If so, does anyone know what how long they're typically for? This waitlist business is stressful!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I think most average people in this area would say people in Hoboken are snobby, so I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

I would focus on whether you would actually like living there. Hoboken is a fairly urban area where you can walk out of your front door and go and do something at any hour of the day.

Scarsdale on the other hand is the suburbs. Don't get me wrong, Scarsdale is one of the nicest suburbs in the country and has a nice little downtown, but the vibe is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamommie View Post
Well coming from Hoboken, we are looking to buy a 4 bedroom for just a little over 1M. We really like Scarsdale because of the schools but have heard that the people in the town are 'snobby'. I'm not sure if this is true but I would like to find a friendly town to raise our family so that our children learn to be nice to everyone.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Is there an area in Westchester that is known to have young families and where they might be a bit more social, perhaps have block parties and events of such? Maybe I'm dreaming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County