Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,189,109 times

Advertisements

Peekskill. Love to go the farmer's market, get a drink at the Coffee House and hear live music in the afternoon, walk by the galleries, and then grab flatbread at Gleason's or eat in the beer garden at Birdsall House. Not to mention the riverfront park with the best view in the county and the Peekskill Brewery across the street. And there's the Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art and the lovely Victorian houses.

Runners up are Katonah (for cuteness) and Mt Kisco (for variety of eateries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,375,948 times
Katonah, Bronxville, and Larchmont are my top contenders for favorite village (even if not incorporated as such in the case of Katonah).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,413 times
Ridgefield CT is great too...albiet just over the border...
Same goes for Cold Spring in Putnam!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM

87 posts, read 228,409 times
Second on Cold Spring.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM

24 posts, read 82,633 times
Bronxville is very quaint! You can rent at The Avalon in bronxville and it's right near the train for easy commute. I used to work for a company that does Temporary Housing with the Avalon properties, so you can do a short term lease through third party, just to test it out, or you can rent directly from Avalon for long term leases. Bronxville Apartments in New York City, NY | The Avalon

Old 08-02-2013, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 82,633 times
Default perfect villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
What exactly do you people DO in these picture perfect villages?
Do you actually buy anything from those idiotic bauble junk shops that are oh-so-full-of-character?
No, these villages offer bike and walking trails. You feel safe and secure when you are there, unlike central park! I don't live in Bronxville, but it's one of my favorite because it's so safe there and I love the jogging trails, the sound of the river flowing by your feet and the birds chirping in your ear and butterflies coloring the skies! When you reach a certain age you learn to appreciate the beauty of nature! I don't go there for the people, I find them to be very pretencious. I go there for the opposite to get away from the people, I am usually jogging with a friend in total silence of the human language and I just listen to the sounds of nature.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM

108 posts, read 209,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-E-Mous View Post
No, these villages offer bike and walking trails. You feel safe and secure when you are there, unlike central park! I don't live in Bronxville, but it's one of my favorite because it's so safe there and I love the jogging trails, the sound of the river flowing by your feet and the birds chirping in your ear and butterflies coloring the skies! When you reach a certain age you learn to appreciate the beauty of nature! I don't go there for the people, I find them to be very pretencious. I go there for the opposite to get away from the people, I am usually jogging with a friend in total silence of the human language and I just listen to the sounds of nature.

Well said. Its about basic safety and living in a civilized environment away from huge cities for me also.

I work in the city, when i get home its a big sigh of relief to be able to leave that chaos

Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-E-Mous View Post
I am not sure what Pretencious means??? but the parks around Bronxville (where i lived for 8 years) along the Bronx River tend to be populated by from Yonkers or who live in apartments and have no place to go>>
Hardly a pretentious crowd there..some rather unsavory characters if you ask me.

Siwanoy country club is where you can find pretentious folks

Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM

35 posts, read 115,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaN View Post
Katonah. Its perfect.
I work in Katonah and it just seems so boring. It's a nice town don't get me wrong - but I think I would go crazy living here.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,189,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelectro View Post
I work in Katonah and it just seems so boring. It's a nice town don't get me wrong - but I think I would go crazy living here.
If you lived there you'd regularly drive 5-15 minutes to go to the many other nearby towns. I love Katonah, but for sure you would get tired of the few restaurants quickly, so you would visit those nearby. And if you lived in a nearby town you would come to Katonah often to enjoy its charms. I don't know where people get this idea of a completely autonomous town! When I lived in the city I regularly traveled over 30 minutes to go to other neighborhoods to hang out and go to restaurants, bars, parks, movie theaters, and other places. Here in upper Westchester my travel radius is generally shorter, but it's the same idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County