U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 AM

395 posts, read 1,386,377 times

Advertisements

I did the Pville commute for a year (now I'm in Chappaqua which is a bit easier since it has more parking and more express trains). Relatively speaking, compared to your 20 min commute it probably would seem exhausting. I moved from LA where my commute was only 10-15 miles but it took me 45 minutes anyway, driving in traffic. I would get home frazzled and needing to decompress. I on the train I can maximize my time - read or nap or get personal emails done (or online shopping! LOL), so that by the time I get home I feel rested and can be more productive.

I would definitely suggest renting first before buying if you can, in any town, so that you can get a true feel for the commute and the vibe of the community before making a long term commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 25,439 times
We've spent the past couple of months looking at different towns in Westchester and I find that our first impressions at least are vastly different from town to town. Actually, I'm surprised how different the vibe is considering how geographically close the towns are. We just visited Pleasantville this morning and really liked it. My husband, who works just outside of Grand Central thinks the commute wouldn't be a deal breaker, but he's already commuting 45 minutes door to door from Brooklyn.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,558,834 times
The plus side of the metronorth commute is that it is pleasant, calm, and productive time. My 43 minute train ride is often one of the most relaxing parts of my day. The train is mellow and the view is amazing (on the Hudson line, that is) and I work or read or just listen to music and relax. This is in stark contrast to my old 45-50 minute subway commute from Park Slope, which was anything but pleasant.

The con side of the commute is having to catch a train and force oneself into a schedule. Leaving the house at a certain time to get the train is rough and pulling yourself out of the office to get the train can be impossible. The number one criteria for a good commute is a variety of train options at the time you commute. You really want to know that you can spend the extra five minutes in the morning talking to your kids and just get the next train without getting to work too late. Focus on the schedule more than on the length of the trip.

I commute to 34th and 7th daily and the hardest part is getting across town. It only takes 10-15 minutes but it is a nasty 10-15 minutes. I also have a 12 minute drive to the Croton-Harmon station, but its a pleasant drive along the reservoir and I enjoy it almost as much as the train down the Hudson. If I could walk from Grand Central the commute would be a dream. (The other morning I went straight to my dentist at 53rd and Madison and took the north passageway from the platform and was at the dentist's literally 6 minutes after the train pulled in. That would be awesome.)

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,233 times
Thanks, this is very helpful. I was going to discount Chappaqua because the town center is so much smaller and Pleasantville feels like i could manage without driving much during the week. But perhaps the better train schedule is more important. So hard to decide!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,737,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird42 View Post
Thanks a lot for saying so; we've started to consider Pleasantville which I like quite a lot. Is it common for residents in these towns to commute into Manhattan (and not just to Grand Central vicinity) five days a week, 9am-7pm? Does the commute become exhausting? In the city I'm used to a 20 min commute each way, and I'm still always late...
Yes, yes and you give up some to get some. Grass and trees is a nice tradeoff.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,233 times
dma, thank you. The more I consider this, the better Northern Westchester gets. I have been so anxious about leaving the city, but ponytrekker is right. I'm getting excited thinking about all that green stuff.

ewinbr, I'd love to hear some of your impressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County